June 2011 News Hits | CPS News
Archived News Hits
(Links will open in new window)
Week of June 26, 2011
Week of June 19, 2011
Week of June 12, 2011
Week of June 5, 2011
Week of May 29, 2011
Week of June 26
14 Propaganda Techniques Fox "News" Uses to Brainwash Americans
JP Morgan Calls For Corporate Tax Break That JP Morgan Analysts Found Won't Work
VIDEO: Constituents Confront Rep. Charlie Dent (R-PA) For Holding Debt Negotiations Hostage Over Tax Cuts For Rich
When Scientists Take to the Streets It's Time to Listen Up
- Sit back, get uncomfortable, and choose any one of these facts to make you mad. Independence Day for Corporations and the Wealthy; Hard Times for the Rest of Us
Shafting the Middle Class With Debt, While Wall Street Fattens Its Profits
McKinsey Backpedals on Health Care Reform Study
- [Republicans] need the debt to push through their radical and unpopular agenda. Why the GOP Loves the Debt
SEC allows companies to bend the rules, with no follow-through
Fossil fuel companies and Koch brothers pour cash on climate change 'skeptic' Willie Soon
Republicans Are Intentionally Sabotaging the Economy
Let's Buy Our Government Back From Special Interests - Estimated Cost: $14 Billion
Eric Cantor's short bet reveals real GOP debt ceiling weakness This should leave no doubt as to where the mainstream media stands -
Media Continues To Treat Anti-Health Care Decisions As More Important Than Pro-Health Care Decisions
Since 2009, 88 Percent Of Income Growth Went To Corporate Profits, Just One Percent Went To Wages
- They are willing to ship our jobs overseas, but "to hell with those who loose their job." Senate Republicans To Oppose Trade Deals If They Include Aid For Displaced Workers
Winners and Losers From the Great Recession
- A favorite GOP plow: House GOP Ignores Thomas Ethics Scandal To Launch Frivolous Attack On Justice Kagan "bait & switch".
Republican Senators Defend Corporate Jet Tax Loophole
A trillion here, two trillion there, and pretty soon you're talking the real cost of a decade of war
- National Archives food exhibit reminds us why we have 'big government' The Free Market Fails at Food Safety
How 11 Corporate Titans Profited After Failure
- When it comes to perpetuating the Bush tax cut windfall for the wealthy, Republicans have long been the party which cried "uncertainty." But with economists, business leaders, think tanks and international financial bodies now warning of those dire consequences, more and more Republicans hell-bent on gutting spending and preserving gilded class tax breaks are having no qualms at all about the economic uncertainty they alone are responsible for producing. Default Deniers or How the GOP Learned to Love Uncertainty
- The G.O.P. doesn't care how blatant or how transparent their game is. It believes, since it has done it before, that it can trick the American people into thinking that its party's intentions are holy. We Know the GOP is the Corporate Party? Where is the Main Street Party?
Govs. Rick Perry And Rick Scott Go AWOL During State Emergencies To Attend Secret Koch Event
Investigators: Massey Energy Falsified Safety Record At Upper Big Branch Mine
McConnell To Vote Against Free Trade Deals If They Include Aid For Workers Who Lose Their Jobs
Report: Failing To Raise The Debt Ceiling Would Lead To Immediate Cuts To Social Security
Documents Reveal Bachmann Benefited From And Relied Upon Government-Funded Earmarks - But wait! They're "better" than the rest of us; why should they have to wait?
Bipartisan Bill Would Force Congress to Wait for Pensions as Long as other Americans
CEO Ron Johnson paid Sen. Ron Johnson (R-self) $10 million, settling campaign debt. Is it legal?
[Gov.] Rick Scott Tried To Disband The Florida Highway Patrol
While Fighting To Block SEC Investigation Of Goldman Sachs, Rep. Darrell Issa Bought Goldman Sachs Bonds
- Cash that should be used to pay for patient care. California Health Insurers Spread Cash To Groups Opposing Rate Regulation Bill
- and the Top Economist: Even Brief Default Will Cause New Recession And Blow Recovery 'Out Of The Water' RNC Chairman thinks Americans Will Say 'Well Good' If The U.S. Defaults On Its Obligations. - Yeah! For about 3 days!
- And a big Goldman "THANK YOU" goes out to American taxpayers. After Taking A $10 Billion Bailout, Goldman Sachs Announces It Will Outsource 1,000 Jobs To Singapore
Cisco Asks For New Tax Break After Dodging $7 Billion In Taxes
- Of course not! A 100:1 ratio wouldn't be good enough for them. Republicans Quit Debt Negotiations Because 5:1 Cuts-To-Taxes Ratio Wasn't Good Enough
Coburn/Lieberman Plan Cuts Medicare To Pay For Tax Cuts For The Wealthy
Senate GOP To Dems On Debt Limit: 'Give Us Huge Medicare Cuts, Or Raise It Yourself'
- Why not!? The GOP Blow To Public Financing At The Supreme Court Litigated By Koch and Walton-Funded Groups OWNS the Supreme Court.
- And we needed to be told this??? Ex-Bachmann Chief of Staff: Michele's Not Cut Out for White House
- And we think we're not in for a Fukushima Daiichi event! New Expose Reveals Nuclear Regulatory Commission Colluded with Industry to Weaken Safety Standards
- [He] tried to pin her down on her many and numerous outright lies, as PolitiFact recently examined in some detail. And as usual, she did her usual blob-of-mercury routine. CBS' Bob Schieffer calls out Bachmann for her lies on 'Face The Nation'. She responds by prevaricating
- Read this; it's very informative. Heritage Foundation Has Different Standards For Bush And Obama
McConnell and Kyl Peddle GOP Whopper on Taxes and Debt
- The nightmare is in Indiana after they implemented the same thing Paul Ryan and the Republicans want to give us nation wide. GOP's Privatization Future is Indiana's Nightmare Present
- The key word here is "gimmick" Republicans Rejected Ending $72 Billion Corporate Accounting Gimmick In Debt Talks
GOP Whip McCarthy: Oil Subsidies Off The Table In Debt Talks, But Medicare Cuts Have To Be Part Of The Deal
CHART: States That Cut The Most Spending Have Lost The Most Jobs
Bachmann Personally Benefited From Earmarks, Then Falsely Claims She Never Did
- Question: "Would you rather reach [a deficit of] 3% [of GDP] even if it required some revenue increases, or hold the line on revenue and settle for a higher deficit?" Answer: "What we want to do is not have higher revenues." Top Republican Tax Writer Chooses A Bigger Deficit Over Tax Increases For The Rich
- Once again, as often publicized, white-collar criminals are never punished. Tyson Foods Paid Penalty for Bribery, but No Executives Charged (As Usual)
- The price of being a radical right-wing state. Georgia's Harsh Immigration Law Leaves Crops Rotting in Fields
- Eveidently only laws they like are to be enforced. Republicans continue to flip out over NLRB doing its job
President Obama wants Wall Street's money, but he needs working America's votes
Now That Banks Can't Use Overdraft Charges As License To Steal, They Plan To Screw Debit Card Users Instead
Insiders Warn "Shale Plays are Just Giant Ponzi Schemes" in Bombshell-Laden NY Times Piece on Natural Gas, Fracking
- Now that she's a "serious" candidate for President, Bachmann just keeps "changing" what she "believes". Rep. Michele Bachmann Regrets Saying Obama Has 'Anti-American Views
- The Democrats are the biggest abusers by far; which makes one wonder if CNN would have published this had the reverse been the case. CNN Investigation Reveals Congressional Staffers Received $6.1 Million In Bonuses
Week of June 19
- That's what they did after they got a "tax holiday" in 2004. Corporate Tax Holiday Would Shift Investment, Jobs Overseas: Report
Economy Expected to Have Major Slide in Months Ahead
- In plain english, the Republicans plan to screw people on Social Security--so they can give rich people bigger tax breaks. If you're one of them, Don't These Politicians Have Any Heart At All? New COLA Proposal Cuts Especially Deep Into Social Security Benefits For Women are you happy now that you voted for those "big-hearted compassionate" Republicans? A further explanation of the previous link -
Implications Of Chained CPI For The Very Elderly
Signs Your Governor May Have A Koch Problem
Republican Rep. Blasts Own Party For Fannie/Freddie Lies And Shoddy Housing Policy
- We're supposed to be surprised that the GOP is being bought off by corporations?????? Exclusive: Oil Industry Forms New Astroturf Group To Manipulate 2012 Republican Primary In Iowa
- The whole country has tried to tell us Prosser was a psycho. Wisconsin Justice Prosser 'grabbed fellow justice around the neck' prior to union bill decision
- The true fault lies with the GOP and its maximalist demands. Eric Cantor's withdrawal from the Biden budget talks shows yet again that the GOP cannot negotiate-because negotiating means accepting something you don't like. The GOP vs. Democracy
- Not even a surprise anymore... this is what caused Eric Cantor to bolt from the debt-ceiling negotiations entirely, rather than have to listen to such scary stories. Cantor abandoned debt talks to protect the rich
GOP Blew Up Debt Negotiations To Protect Tax Breaks For People Making $500,000 Or More
Republican claim that Cantor's walkout was planned doesn't add up
Top Dems Provide Fresh Detail On High-Income Tax Proposal That Led GOP To Abandon Debt Talks
Memo To House Republicans: Following Reagan's 1982 Tax Increase, Economy Boomed, Unemployment Fell
Running in the red: How the U.S., on the road to surplus, detoured to massive debt
- No consumer protections from the banksters for you! That's the verdict from the House Appropriations Committee, which voted Thursday to slash the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's budget by more than half. House Appropriations Committee takes first shot at crippling the CFPB
Inside the Koch Brothers' Expensive Echo Chamber - Video
- They helped Christie pass an anti-union and anti-pension bill. And you thought Democrats were Democrats? Meet the "Christie Democrats"
How to make the deficit disappear in a decade: Do nothing
- "We've got to get the message right. There's been a lot of misinformation out there that there's $6 billion in the fund that's not been used. It's been used," said Rep. Charles Perry, R-Lubbock. Texas Republicans To Perry: Stop Lying About Preserving Our Rainy Day Fund
- With details. 10 Things the GOP Doesn't Want You to Know About the Debt
CHART OF THE DAY: New GOP Governors Tanking Nationwide
- If NJ Assembly Approves Christie's Pension Plan, Teachers Will Pay More Than Millionaires Were Asked To Pay For crying out loud! How much more will it take before the citizenry quits playing politics and start standing up to their assassins!?
- "Medicare cuts - additonal Medicare cuts" - for revenue increases. Presumably that means they were already talking Medicare cuts, and then tossed in extra ones in order to try to get some revenue increases. Baucus: There are Medicare cuts in debt limit negotiations DAMNED (closet Republican) DEMOCRATIC TRAITORS!
- Which is the only "punishment" any bank will ever receive. The fine will come out of the shareholders pockets and those responsible will keep their spoils and laugh all the way to the bank. JPMorgan Chase Fined $154 million in Goldman-Like Case
CBO: Doing Nothing On The Budget Leads To Primary Balance In 2017
Oil Subsidies-Denier Rep. Rob Bishop Finally Acknowledges Some Special Giveaways To The Oil Industry
Senate Democrats Call For Obama To Replace Bank-Friendly Regulator
- Republicans on the House Financial Services Committee yesterday voted to repeal a provision of the Dodd-Frank law that requires public companies to disclose the ratio between the pay of their executives and that of their median worker House GOP Votes To Repeal Measure Boosting Transparency In CEO Pay, Claims It 'Provides No Benefit'
- "in each of the three years following the 2004 tax holiday, these companies increased the amounts of new 'permanently reinvested' foreign earnings by three times as much, on average, as they had in the each of the ten years before the holiday" CHART: Corporate Tax Holiday Pushed By GOP Increases The Amount Of Money Corporations Invest Offshore
- At $10K per year in paid taxes, it would take 26 years before the tax cut plan would begin to pay off. $260,000: The Cost Of Creating A Single Job Under George Allen's Corporate Tax Cut Plan
- This may be the only option to stop Fox Faux from lying. That is, of course, until the case reaches the GOP's Supreme Court. Van Jones' Lawyer Sent Cease And Desist Letter To Fox News, FNC Says 'It's Under Review'
- LIPSTICK ON A PIG! Congress may talk big about the deficit and debt, but when it comes to their "relection finance", they don't care how big the deficit and debt is. Congress Rebrands Earmarks as "Programmatic Requests"
Sending A Shock Through The Market, PIMCO Director Bill Gross Says Fiscal Conservatism Doesn't Equal Job Growth
Rep. Price Tries - And Fails - To Get Medicare Trustee To Say Health Care Reform "Ends Medicare As We Know It"
CBO: We'll only have giant deficits if Congress wants giant deficits
Quite Simply, Republicans Have No New Solutions: They Just Strangle Progress
- The attitude of the entire Grand Old Party. Rand Paul: America's hungry seniors should turn to charity
The Growing Desperation of the "Don't Raise Taxes on the Rich" Crowd
Democrats Explicitly Call Out GOP For Sabotaging The Economic Recovery
House Ways And Means Chairman Owns Stock In Nearly Half The Companies He Has Called To Testify On Tax Reform
McConnell Does Wall Street's Bidding: 'The Less We Fund' Regulators, 'The Better America Will Be'
Republicans Call Rule That Would Make Union Elections Fairer An 'Outrage,' 'Misguided,' And 'Reckless'
32 Corporations Spent More On Compensation For Top Executives In 2010 Than They Paid In Income Taxes
How Corporate America came to dominate our discourse
Medicare Is A More Accurate Payer Than Private Insurers
Clarence Thomas Decided Three Cases Where AEI Filed A Brief After AEI Gave Him A $15,000 Gift
- 'Heh, heh, heh! Cantor On Tax Reform: 'We Are Not Opposed To Revenues' Just as long as it comes from the working class and Wink-wink! Heh, heh, heh'. corporate America and the wealthy. not
Gov. Scott Rejects Millions In Health Aid For Seniors, Children, And Disabled To Grandstand Against Health Law
Ohio GOP Blindsides State Senate With Radical Voter ID Provision In Election Reform Bill
- House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan appeared on CNBC today, where he endorsed giving a $78 billion tax break to some of the nation's largest corporations, even though an identical plan passed in 2004 failed to deliver on its promise of economic growth and job creation. Paul Ryan Claims Boeing, Which Has Paid No Taxes In Three Years, Has An 'Extremely High' Tax Rate
Global Corporations Crush Small Businesses and Then Blame It on the Government
- The SEC has largely determined that [Congressman] trading stocks based on advance knowledge of action in Congress is not insider trading. [M]embers of Congress can [buy and sell] shares in expectation of the effect that their own action has on the company's stock price. Congressional Trading on Advance Info Not Illegal: SEC
Right-Wing Reps. Spent Thousands Of Taxpayer Dollars On 2009 Rally Disguised As Press Conference
When Did the US Begin Sacrificing Freedom and Democracy for Corporate Governance and Wealth as a Sign of Virtue?
- An attack on the right to vote is under way across the country through laws designed to make it more difficult to cast a ballot. If this were happening in an emerging democracy, we'd condemn it as election-rigging. But it's happening here, so there's barely a whimper. Rigging the 2012 Election
- Two top aides to former Maryland Gov. Robert Ehrlich (R) were indicted Friday for trying to suppress Democratic voter turnout by ordering misleading phone calls that discouraged voters from going to the polls. Aides To GOP Governor Indicted For Trying To Suppress Black Voter Turnout In 2010 Campaign
Ryan Endorses Huge Corporate Tax Giveaway: 'It's A Good Idea, We Ought To Have It Every Day'
- "[I]t's not the appointees Republicans care about, it's the obstruction." Former GOP Aide: Senate Republicans Would Even Block Ben Franklin If Obama Nominated Him
AP Bombshell: U.S. Nuclear Regulators "Repeatedly" Weaken Safety Rules or are "Simply Failing to Enforce Them"
[One] would vastly increase deficits now and into the future and would permanently lower the tax rate on overseas income from 35 percent to 5 percent. The worst tax cut in Washington
- Sometimes it's useful to take a peak at what the Republican Party is doing in the states just so can get a preview of what they'll do should they regain both the Senate and the White House in 2012. Wisconsin: The GOP's meth lab of democracy
Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker To Cut Medicaid Without Public Hearings
Obama Impersonator Tells Racial Jokes At GOP Conference [and gets big laughs], But Yanked For Mocking Republicans
- Justice Clarence Thomas is an ethics problem in a black robe. Just eight months after ThinkProgress broke the story of Thomas' attendance at a Koch-sponsored political fundraiser, we learn that Thomas doesn't just do unethical favors for wealthy right-wing donors - they also do expensive favors for him. Justices Have Been Forced To Resign For Doing What Clarence Thomas Has Done
- For years, statistics have depicted growing income disparity in the United States, and it has reached levels not seen since the Great Depression. The largest single chunk of the highest-income earners, it turns out, are executives and other managers in firms. With executive pay, rich pull away from rest of America
Week of June 12
Paychecks as Big as Tajikistan - Executive Pay Compared to Earnings-and GDP
- Oil company BP continues its slow climb out of political purgatory, as its political action committee on Friday reported donating thousands of dollars in May to federal-level politicians hailing from a variety of states BP Continues to Increase Donations to Federal Political Candidates
The Wealthy Want to Stop Upward Mobility In America and Make Being Rich a Members Only Club
Wisconsin Republicans file fake Democrats in six recall primaries
Justice Thomas Caught Up In Yet Another Ethical Tangle
At Republican Leadership Conference, Obama Impersonator Tells Racist Jokes; Audience Laughs
The $113 Billion Hole: Ten Things America Gave Up This Year To Pay For The War In Afghanistan
Super PAC Registrations Accelerate, Favor Conservatives
Today Conservatives Have Become Little More Than Corporate Bootlicking Goons
- The campaign working to repeal the heinous anti-worker bill in Ohio has collected more than three times the required signatures to put a referendum to overturn the bill on the November ballot. Ohio: Campaign to repeal SB 5 collects over 714,000 signatures, 231,000 required
- The congressman stands to make money from his stakes in four businesses that lease land to energy companies which would benefit from $45 billion in tax breaks and subsidies in his proposed budget. Paul Ryan May Personally Benefit From Preserving Billions In Taxpayer Oil Subsidies
JPMorgan Chase Gains Booming Profits after Suckering Alabama's Biggest County
- This would outrage the Founding Fathers if they were with us today to defend their dream against impostors who call it liberty, but advocate selfishness and greed, and call it freedom, to excuse corruption and fraud. Ron Paul: Champion of greed, not liberty
AARP's Social Security Bombshell
As Richest Pay Lowest Taxes In A Generation, Bachmann Would End Income Tax For 23,000 Millionaires
Anthony Weiner Resigns, Prostitute Enthusiast David Vitter Continues To Be Embraced By GOP Leadership
- The mysterious methodology of [the] McKinsey and Company study on employer-based insurance. McKinsey official wrote previous survey contradicting current McKinsey insurance study
- Extending the Bush tax cuts from 2013 through 2022 would cost $5.5 trillion. Another Decade of Bush Tax Cuts Will Cost More than Twice as Much as the First Decade
- The bill also contained "a $30 million cut to the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC)," which is the federal agency charged with policing the nation's commodities markets, including the oil market. GOP Votes To Slash Funding For Oil Speculation Watchdog
After Campaigning Against The Stimulus, GOP Freshman Attends Opening Ceremony At Stimulus-Funded Jobs Center
What Goldman Sachs did wrong in three sentences
- How dumb do you have to be to say something like this to people who have absolutely no source of income and no savings? Mitt Romney - Net Worth Over $200 Million - Tells Unemployed People 'I'm Also Unemployed"
- So what's new!? This is soooooo typical of right-wing operations. Fake Science Advocate Has Fake Degree
Perry's Texas Has Highest Percentage Of Minimum Wage Jobs In The Nation"
- I don't think this surprises anyone if they remember a systematic campaign of attack the Bush administration applied to anyone who criticized them: Joe Wilson [Valerie Plame], Scott Ritter, Don Siegelman, the list is long and distinguished. Former CIA Admits They Sought Information To Discredit Juan Cole For Bashing Bush
Wealthy Members of Congress Get Richer Even As Economy Sinks and Millions of Jobs Are Lost
- A provision in last year's Wall Street reform law required federal regulators to clamp down on speculators, but Senator Bernie Sanders Introduces Bill to Stop Rampant Oil Speculation the Commodity Futures Trading Commission has refused to do so.
- In the report, which was conducted on behest of House Republicans, the GAO concluded that the Obama administration granted or rejected waivers based on objective criteria, not partisanship. Audit Debunks GOP's Latest "ObamaCare" Conspiracy
After Accepting $290,000 from Tobacco Industry, House Conservatives Push 'Cigarettes For Children' Amendment
Report: Stimulus Helped Nearly 300,000 Families Avoid Homelessness
- What would an average person-liberal or conservative-say if members of Congress attacked a U.S. attorney for simply enforcing the law of the land in court against a powerful criminal suspect? And how would he or she react if those same politicians then threatened the government prosecutor with loss of his job? Republicans Use Bully Tactics to Block Law Enforcement in Boeing Case
Glenn Beck suggests Americans need to get a gun to deal with Obama and Sunstein
GOP Cuts To Food Aid For Seniors And Food Banks Equals One Day Of Bush Tax Cuts For Millionaires
Surprise! Bank of America "Significantly Hampered" Federal Investigations
- An IRS study released today reports that the number of people with yearly incomes over $200,000 who paid no federal income taxes almost doubled between 2007 and 2008 Number Of High-Income Households Paying No Income Taxes Almost Doubled Between 2007 and 2008
- Republicans have created the illusion that private medical insurance is universally generous and all-encompassing in its coverage. Nothing, however, could be further from the truth. What Paul Ryan Won't Tell You: Private Insurance Rations Health Care
- And this is the same Republicans who are busting unions because they have to "cut cost to lower the deficit"???? Wis. GOP's Fake 'Democrats' To Cost Taxpayers More Than $400K
- Just to clarify: the state Supreme Court is top-heavy with Republicans. Wisconsin Supreme Court Reinstates Union-Busting Bill
Corporate Lobbyists Get What They Paid For From Wisconsin Justice David Prosser
- Will his "tax-exempt" charity now be investigated by the IRS? Gingrich's Charity Funneled $200K Back To His For-Profit Company
GOP Rep. Issa Thinks Republicans Always Resign After Ethics Scandals
Rep. Cantor's Selective Outrage Over Sex Scandals
- The Department of Education Inspector General (IG) has confirmed she is conducting an audit to review claims the agency provided Wall Street speculators with potentially valuable inside information about upcoming regulation. Allegations Federal Officials Aided Wall Street Short Sellers Spurs Inspector General Inquiry
- Don't know who Luntz is? He's the "genius" who writes all the talking points for the GOP. Frank Luntz admits making up story to get media attention
Memo To GOP: Medicare Is Better At Controlling Costs Than Private Insurers
Maine GOP Chair: We Must Make It Harder To Vote Because 'Democrats Intentionally Steal Elections'
Ohio GOP Sen. Defends Budget That Favors The Rich: Wealthy 'Suffer Along With The Rest Of Us'
Report: U.S. Needs To Create 21 Millions Jobs This Decade To Return To Full Employment
House Republican Budget Confirms That Life Begins At Conception And Ends At Birth
USGS: Global Warming Drives Rockies Snowpack Loss Unrivaled in 800 Years, Threatens Western Water Supply
After David Koch Leaves NIH Board, NIH Hands Down Long-Delayed Classification Of Top Koch Pollutant As A Carcinogen
Republicans aren't content with blocking anyone and everyone from leading the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Next week, they're planning to attach a series of anti-Dodd-Frank amendments to a noncontroversial economic development bill. One amendment would neuter the CFPB. Another would repeal the whole law. And there's more amendments. The Republican attack on financial regulation
Corporations Using Tax Breaks for New Equipment and Profits, But Not Hiring
The Rich Are Destroying the Economy
The conservative war on facts
- As the U.S population grows and the number of eligible voters continues to climb with each election cycle, a disturbing trend of limiting voter access to the polls is taking place. Shrinking The Vote: Using Election Reform To Decrease Turnout
Mother Nature is Just Getting Warmed Up: June 2011 Heat Records Crushing Cold Records by 13 to 1
Bachmann Calls For Huge Corporate Tax Cut Alongside Tax Increase For The Working Poor
Santorum: Doctors Providing Abortions To Rape And Incest Victims Should Be Criminally Charged
Week of June 5
CFTC Chairman: 90 Percent Of Bets On Rising Oil Prices Come From Speculators
Oil Market Regulator: Consumers Are Paying A 'Wall Street Speculative Premium' For Gas
- The GOP is going to do what ever it takes to protect Wall Street regardless of what it cost consumers. McConnell Confirms Senate GOP Will Block Any Consumer Protection Bureau Nominee
Rep. Lamar Smith's Fight to Make Bribery Easier For Big Business
The 'Big Short' and Goldman's New Story
Sneaking the Plutocratic Agenda Into State Law
Paul Ryan Calls For The U.S. To Default On Its Obligations
After Exxon Finds A Month's Worth Of Oil In Gulf, GOP Rep. Claims It Proves We Have 'Abundant' Oil Reserves
Another Decade of Bush Tax Cuts Will Cost More than Twice as Much as the First Decade
How Can the US Solve Its Problems When the Corporate Media Has Turned Into the National Enquirer?
Bill Moyers on His Legendary Journalism Career: "Democracy Should Be a Brake on Unbridled Greed and Power"
Welcome Back To The Casino. Instead of Mortgages, Now They're Gambling With The World's Food Supply
When did greed become the core engine of American greatness?
Large Majorities Of Elderly, Most Informed Oppose Medicare Privatization
Including Bush tax cuts, Pawlenty's tax plan would cost $10 trillion by 2021
Oil Companies (and Their Koch-Funded Front Groups) Run Campaign to Raise Ire at Gas Prices, Protect Profits
- "Candidate's" response: "I donít know how I could avoid being considered that." Former GOP Rep. Admits He's A 'Spoiler Candidate' In Wisconsin Recall Race
- Wisconsin state Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald (R) is standing by the state GOP's new strategy of recruiting fake Democratic candidates for the state Senate recalls Wis. GOP Senate Leader: There's Nothing Cynical About Running Fake Candidates
After getting busted, Wisconsin GOP tries to justify backing fake Dems in recall primaries
Can you believe Congress wants to slash more than $1 billion from Head Start to give to corporations?
Pawlenty Plan Would Cut Income Taxes for Richest 400 Americans by 73 Percent
- Debt Would Be at Sustainable Levels Without Them The Bush Tax Cuts Are the Disaster that Keeps on Giving
And Then There Were Three: Three Full Meltdowns Confirmed At Fukushima
- Sorkin has written an elaborate defense of Goldman in the New York Times "Dealbook" section, arguing among other things that Lloyd Blankfein probably did not commit perjury and that the bank did not have a huge directional bet against mortgages in 2007. As evidence, Sorkin cites unsubstantiated Goldman documents and Goldman sources. The Times' Andrew Ross Sorkin Gives Goldman a Rubdown
10 Years, 10 Failures for the Bush Tax Cuts
House Republicans Look To Privatize Social Security
Media Matters Exposes TV News Bias Against Climate Action: "76% Of Total Guests Were Opponents Of GHG Regulation"
- So why isn't someone being prosecuted for this???????? Americans For Prosperity Places Fake Eviction Notices On Detroit Homeowners' Doors To Scare Up Support
The Economic Legacy Of The Bush Tax Cuts - No Job Creation, Stunted Growth
- several [homeowners] helped power last year's GOP political campaigns, the tax cut will yield tax savings of hundreds of thousands of dollars and maybe even more than $1 million for a few. Political payback? GOP donors enjoy huge tax breaks
- None of America's largest banks raise money on the free market. Every single one of them is propped up by an implicit taxpayer guarantee. It is a huge subsidy by taxpayers to the banks, enabling them to be far more profitable than they would be otherise. Taxpayer Dollars Still Bailing Out Banks
How The Kochs Built An Oil Speculation Empire
- Power grows from the barrel of a gun. And the wealthy can purchase a whole lot of guns. There is only one power that has ever managed to even halfway prevent the wealthy from simply taking everything at gunpoint, and that is the power of the People as a whole getting together and using the wealth they produce to buy their own guns to offset the wealthy. The law is for the little people
- When the number 1 neoconservative in the country says something like this, you can bet it was a stupid idea in the first place. Bill Kristol admits the truth: 'The corporate tax rate is not killing big business in America.'
- "Republicans: Trying to kill Medicare since 1965!" The Republicans' Medicare Bumper Sticker
- The Republican budget plan is the purest expression of the Right's longstanding desire to dismantle the social safety net. It's not about the budget deficit - that's simply a premise -- it's the "Shock Doctrine" in action. How Fraudulent is the GOP Budget Plan? It Wouldn't Even Make a Dent in the Deficit
- to make it match her botched verison of history Palin fans attempting to edit Paul Revere's wikipedia page that she later doubled-downed on.
Week of May 29
- You have to hand it to the GOP. Even with all the evidence that Ryan's Curse poses a mounting problem for Republicans across the country, Republican leaders are firmly digging in their heels Republicans continue rich tradition of blaming their candidates
- The problem here isn't with how they're selling the message: it's that the substance of the message they're trying to sell just won't ever receive the support of the American public. Republicans still trying to put lipstick on their Medicare-ending pig
- The news that Moody's is reviewing the debt ratings of Bank of America, Wells Fargo and Citigroup shows how dependent these banks have been on the invisible and unwilling support of the American taxpayer. Moody's Reveals Huge Taxpayer Subsidy for Banks
Opposition to Elizabeth Warren extremely well funded, inherently sexist
During The Great Recession, 12 Major Corporations Made $173 Billion In Profits And Had A Negative Income Tax Rate
Meet The Billionaires Who Are Trying To Privatize Our Schools And Kill Public Education
U.S. Worked To Scuttle Haiti Gas Development Deal On Behalf Of Big Oil
- Rep. Darrell Issa's (R-CA) "unprecedented" demand that all Obama administration witnesses called by the majority be designated as minority witnesses, in lieu of allowing the members to select their own witnesses. "Unprecedented" Issa Policy Prevents Oversight Democrats From Selecting Their Own Witnesses
Debunking The Top Lies About The Republican Medicare Scheme
- All of the current efforts to reduce the number of people who vote are aimed at disenfranchising Americans who are less wealthy, less mobile, less knowledgeable about voting requirements - and, of course - the young, particularly on college campuses. The Republican Party's War on Democracy
Wisconsin Democrats to go forward with recall of Scott Walker
MANY OF BOEHNER'S ECONOMISTS ARE REPUBLICAN POLITICIANS
Last Ten Years Of Wage Gains Lower Than During The Great Depression
Asked About Being Viewed As A Pawn Of Koch Industries, Rep. Mike Pompeo Replies: Koch Is 'Amazing'
- Hey, why not start early? This false claim worked out great for the GOP last year, thanks to Obama. Talking Point Revived: Republican Claims That 2013 Bush Tax Cut Expiration Is Creating 'Uncertainty'
12 Corporations Pay Effective Tax Rate of Negative 1.5%on $171 Billion in Profits; Reap $62.4 Billion in Tax Subsidies Exxon Mobil, Boeing, Verizon, Others Illustrate Why Revenue-Raising Reform is Needed
- This is what happens when people can no longer deny what's being said on the air May Cable News Ratings: Fox News Gets Stomped
- It's not as if we didn't already know this - it was just a matter of having someone officially expose it. That's part of the reason for the following headline. Moody's Reveals Huge Taxpayer Subsidy for Banks
US Fed Balance Sheet Hits Record Size
- A secret recording has revealed that high-ranking officials in the Republican Party of Wisconsin are actively seeking to run spoiler, fake Democratic candidates in the upcoming recall elections. The recording indicates that this effort stems from the very top of the Wisconsin GOP Caught on tape: Wisconsin GOP looking to run fake Democratic candidates in recall elections
Gov. Christie Thinks A Family Making $6,000 A Year Is Too Rich To Qualify For Medicaid
- It's a crying shame when it takes people getting killed before government agencies will do their job Transportation Dept. Vows It Will Never Again Delay Shutdowns of Unsafe Bus Companies
Rep. Issa's Oil Spill Oversight Witness Is An Ethics Nightmare
After Cutting Taxes For Millionaires, Gov. Christie Wants to Eliminate Medicaid For Minimum Wage Earners
- But eating isn't important. What's important is that millionaires pocket more money. House GOP Cuts To Nutrition Assistance Equal To One Week Of Bush Tax Cuts For Millionaires
- Again and again, Republicans are ignoring what the voters sent them to do: create jobs, help people who've been harmed by the Great Recession, fix public infrastructure, strengthen the public safety net. Ignoring the constituency Instead, at state and federal levels, they do just the opposite, catering to the big corporate money that got them there.
Latest in House Republicans' Dog & Pony Show: Boehner Rolls out Partisan Hacks Cloaked as "Economists"
Maine's LePage signs law easing child labor restriction
- It probably won't end up on the evening news - massive news organizations controlled by the world's wealthiest people don't tend to focus on the gap between the rich and everyone else. Richest One Percent Of Americans Control 40 Percent of Wealth
- The nation's mounting debt is largely attributable to wars, a recession and tax policies President Obama inherited from his predecessor. 10 Inconvenient Truths About the Debt Ceiling
- Well, I guess all those "job killing tax policies", mainly for the wealthy, the GOP was harping on late last year just didn't work! Who would've every thought!!?? (See ticker at top) America Loses 112,000 Jobs in May
- When Obama took office the debt stood at $10.6 trillion. After inheriting two wars and the worst economy since the Great Depression, the debt has grown by $3.7 trillion since Obama has been in office. The $7 Trillion Lie: Palin Falsely Claims Debt Has Grown More Under Obama Than 'All Other Presidents Combined" Palin is off by about $7 trillion.
- When confronted with his hypocrisy, he fumbled to find a plausible answer Rick Scott Can't Explain Why He Took Obama Stimulus Money After Denouncing It
- The claim is simply a part of a bigger plan: DIVIDE & CONQUER The poor pay no taxes? That's a big surprise to them
A Decade of Magical Tax-Cut Thinking: Got a revenue surplus? Cut taxes. Got a budget deficit? Cut taxes. Got a toothache? Cut taxes
- You absolutely How to Make Media Reflect the Popular Views of Americans, Not Those of Elites must read this.
Blind Allegiance to Sarah Palin: An Insider Exposes How Palin Is Focused on Riches, Not Governing
McConnell keeps lying and the media keeps letting him get away with it
- "But we - the bankers - will only get 'used to' becoming richer." Wells Fargo: Americans Will Have To "Get Used To" High Unemployment
- [They] voted to add $6 trillion to the U.S. national debt over the next decade. And that means, as Speaker John Boehner acknowledged, Republicans now and in the future would have to increase the debt ceiling - Republicans Play Debt Ceiling Joke on Themselves . repeatedly
How the Republicans Repackage Repeated Failures as Success -- And the Media Buys the Scam
- AND TURN AMERICA INTO A COUNTRY RULED BY FASCISM! Bachmann: I want to become a 2012er to save America from socialism
While Slashing Aid To Main Street, GOP Budget Drops Tax Rate For Richest To Lowest In 80 Years
Ryan's Medicare Plan And Cost Shifting To Seniors Another one of those "isolated incidents":
Anti-Abortion Extremist Arrested For Trying To Murder Abortion Providers In Wisconsin
- The Tea Party movement has begun a disturbing new initiative to rewrite constitutional history in American classrooms. The Tea Party Rewrites The Constitution
What you should know about what Republicans want to do to Medicaid
Theories and Hoaxes Are Blurring Reality
Vermont Passes Single-Payer Health Care, World Doesn't End
- In addition to bungling its job looking for billion-dollar Wall Street fraudsters, such as Bernard Madoff, or allowing employees to surf for porn, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) itself broke the law by buying faulty computers. SEC Illegally Bought $1 Million Worth of Useless Apple Computer Equipment
- TRANSLATION: "You've got to do a better job of pulling the wool over the public's face!" David Brooks: If GOP Wants Public Support For Medicare Reform They Must Be 'More Crafty'
How Republicans Are Convincing Themselves That A Debt Default Wouldn't Be So Bad ó And Why They're Wrong
- Another "Revolving Door" ex-government employee. Judd Gregg joins Goldman Sachs
Forget Ideology: Conservatives Need to Develop a Basic Sense of Right and Wrong
Common Peoples Source for News
Copyright © 2007 -
All Rights Reserved