May 2011 News Hits | CPS News
Archived News Hits
(Links will open in new window)
Week of May 22, 2011
Week of May 15, 2011
Week of May 8, 2011
Week of May 1, 2011
Week of May 22, 2011
GOP jobs plan: Old ideas, fancy new clip art
- Wall Street's sense of entitlement continues. The big banks and brokerages, seeing themselves immune to punishment and abetted by lax regulators, are on the road to another crash. Remember 'too big to fail?' Want to see it again?
- "We're going back to the same crap. I really find it amazing that we're almost back to where it was. (There's) just, way to much leverage, way to much risk-taking with other peoples money." Carl Icahn: Wall Street Back To Its Old Tricks
Speculators Helped Cause Oil Bubble
- The U.S. government won convictions against 23,506 drug traffickers nationwide during 2010, sending 96 percent of the offenders to prison. Yet one of the biggest entities busted by the feds for involvement in drug trafficking last year received just a wrist-slap deal from federal prosecutors with nobody getting prison time; (enter Wachovia Bank). Too Big to Do Time?: Fed Wrist-slap for Wachovia Bank Makes a Farce of the Drug War
- Members of the Tea Party Caucus filled the latest defense appropriations bill with millions of dollars of earmarks for projects in their home districts After Promising To End Earmarks, Tea Party Freshmen Hog Defense Pork
DeMint: We Cannot Compromise or Cooperate With Democrats
Walker: Anti-Union Bill To Go Through 'One Way Or The Other'
- Speaker John Bohner started the lie and now Rep. Paul Ryan is running with it. Ryan lies about Republican budget repealing health reform Medicare cuts
- They're giving credit for job creation to a policy that was enacted Heritage Gives Magical Tax Cuts Credit For Economic Growth That Preceded Them after the jobs were created.
John Boehner's Pathetic 10-Page Jobs Plan
McConnell: I Won't Agree To Raise The Debt Limit Without Medicare Cuts
Despite What Boehner Says, Republicans Have Voted To Cut Medicare, Repeatedly
Gov. Rick Scott Uses Sheriffs To Eject 'Liberal-Looking' People From Budget Signing Event In Town Square
- In response to the deadliest spring of climate disasters in decades, House Republicans are slashing billions from disaster preparedness programs, including support for firefighters. GOP Cuts Disaster Preparedness Funds By $1.5 Billion
- OK; so what's new? Just typical GOP white-wash. New Republican 'jobs' plan calls for even more tax cuts for wealthy individuals, corporations
- Say what!? Did you get that? The GOP praised it's self for creating jobs; then the media Boehner quotes media quoting GOP's praise of new GOP jobs plan quoted the GOP; now Boehner is quoting the media as proof they created jobs.
- When you're lemon isn't selling, put some paint on it and change your sales pitch. GOP on Medicare debacle: It's still just a messaging problem!
Paul Ryan favorability collapses (except inside the Republican bubble)
- And I bet not one single news person challanged him at the event. After Demanding Repeal Of Stimulus, GOP Rep. Long Attends Ceremony For Stimulus-Funded Clinic
Top Republican promises Wall Street that GOP is bluffing on debt limit
Paul Ryan doubles down, says seniors should pay for their own health care
- Just a reminder; this is what you voted for, seniors and soon-to-be seniors! Senate Republicans Vote Overwhelmingly To End Medicare Happy now!?
- And now the Democrats. Did they learn nothing from the backlash on Republicans??? Hoyer: Medicare cuts are on the debt limit negotiating table
- Sanofi-Aventis lobbied the FDA to delay the approval of a generic drug that would cut into profits from the company's blockbuster blood-thinner Lovenox, which had $4 billion in global sales in 2009. Another Doctor Bought by Big Pharma Followed by
E-mails Show Drug Company Used Third-Party Medical Groups to Influence Regulators, Undercut Rivals
- The next step will be to shut down the Federal Elections Commission GOP Seeks Savings in Phasing Out Election Commission
- Cantor is using victims' hardships as blackmail to get what the GOP wants. Exactly what one could have expected. Cantor Stays Firm on Offsetting Disaster Relief Spending
- The onetime Nixon operative has created the most profitable propaganda machine in history. Inside America's Unfair and Imbalanced Network How Roger Ailes Built the Fox News Fear Factory
- The long, long history of tax breaks this powerhouse industry has won for itself over decades. It's a little scary, though, so brace yourself. What They Don't Tell You About Oil Industry Tax Breaks
Report: Over Two Thousand Six Hundred Activists Arrested in US Protests
- The case was made long ago that Fox News is a blight on the media map. It is bad for journalism. It is bad for Democracy. It is bad for America. A so-called "news" network that repeatedly misinforms, even deliberately disinforms, its audience is failing any test of public service embodied by an ethical press. How Roger Ailes And Fox News Have Sabotaged the GOP
CFTC Charges 3 Firms With Manipulating Oil Market
- All you have to do to corner the market is use a bunch of subsidiaries to buy up about 5 million barrels of crude. I had no idea that manipulation of something the size of the oil market was so easy. Cornering the Oil Market is Easier Than You Think
Big Oil's Free Ride: Instead of working for the American people, many lawmakers are shilling for Big Oil.
People Who Make $250,000 Should Stop Worrying: Obama's Income Tax Plan Targets those Who Make Over $1 Million
- Thousands of companies that collected more than $24 billion in stimulus money from the federal government owe hundreds of millions of dollars in back taxes Tax dodgers pocketed $24 Billion Plus
39 of the Biggest Corporations Paid a Lower Tax Rate than the Average American
- When it comes to investigating corporations of bribery and other crimes, the federal government prefers to save money-and allow suspects to conduct their own probes Justice Dept. and SEC Allow Companies to Investigate Themselves
- Fox Fraud hiring a fraud!? No surprise here Fox News To Hire Judgment Day Preacher Harold Camping
- If I hear one more of these talking heads repeat that it is somehow the "adult" or "grownup" or "serious" [thing to do by throwing] working people, seniors and the poor under the bus so we can continue these military occupations and continue with tax cuts for the rich, ..... There's Nothing 'Brave' About Throwing Seniors Under the Bus so the Rich Can Have Their Tax Cuts
Intelligence Unit Told Before 9/11 to Stop Tracking Bin Laden
Why the Rich Love High Unemployment
Blind Allegiance Author On Sarah Palin: 'Her Priorities And Personality...Would Lead To Disaster Of Biblical Proportions'
Diner Owner Thrilled To Be On Fox News (And All He Had To Do Was Make A Vaguely Racist Sign!)
Warmer Ocean Fueling Tornadoes
Why You Shouldn't Trust Speaker Boehner's "150 Economists"
- YES THEY WILL! Because most have become closet Republicans. Will Dems Give Up Their Political Advantage On Medicare In Debt Limit Fight?
Paul Ryan claims Republicans willing to negotiate on plan to end Medicare
- Yeah - Mitch McConnell: Republican plan to end Medicare would 'empower grandma' to buy her own insurance IF grandma could find someone to insure her and had the money to pay 8 to 10 times what the cost should be!
- More lipstick on the pig - the GOP's favorite cosmetic item House Republicans rename 'earmarks' to 'member requests' in defense bill
GOP Rep. Amash's tea party supporters boot senior citizens, reporters from event
- Brought to you by those "law-abiding" Republicans" Maine GOP Lawmaker Threatens To Shoot Photographer In Dunkin Donuts Parking Lot
Tea Party Organizers Call Security On Seniors And Reporters At Event With Local Congressman
Facing A Potential Upset Over Medicare, Jane Corwin Flip-Flops On Ryan Plan
- No surprise - With Speculation Running Rampant, House GOP Proposes 15 Percent Cut To Oil Market Watchdog Eric Cantor promised the speculators that the GOP would protect them
- How many votes will this cost the GOP? Probably not many! Cantor Says Congress Won't Pay For Missouri Disaster Relief Unless Spending Is Cut Elsewhere
- The GOP does not want poor people getting an education REPORT: Across The Country, Conservatives Shift Taxpayer Dollars From Public to Private Schools
Fearing Potential Upset In NY-26, Conservatives Now Insist Election Is Not A Referendum On Ryan Plan
Week of May 15, 2011
- Have regulators ever won? No! Will they ever win? HELL NO! - Our Banks Are Winning the War Against Regulators elected bought-off officials will never allow them to!
- Of course not! They're wealthy white-collar criminals. Despite Mining Disaster, Report Says Coal Giant Massey 'Has Not Changed' and Execs Stay on
GOLDMAN SACHS OF SHIT - Wall Street's Russian-style Corruption
- With their mythmaking and outright lies about the debt, taxes, health care, Iraq and so much else, Republicans are risking the default of the American economic and political systems alike. The Painful Price of Republican Lies
400 Highest-Income Americans Paid an Effective Rate of 18.1% in 2008
Birtherism, the debt ceiling, climate change, evolution: Are Republicans losing their grip on reality?
The Reality Show You Won't See on TV: Eliminating Bush Tax Cuts Would Halt Rise in Debt
Big Oil Only Pays 4.4% in Income Tax to US Treasury, Uses Offshore Tax Avoidance Schemes
Congress ignores newly released climate change report it requested
House Republicans still having trouble back home over Medicare, taxes
- Democrats are bad, but --- man, they can't hold a light to Republicans when it comes to hypocrisy. After Calling Judicial Filibusters Unconstitutional, Republican Senators Line Up Behind Judicial Filibuster
GOP Predecessor On Pawlenty: 'I Don't Think Any Governor Has Left Behind A Worse Financial Mess'
- See what I mean? The GOP now happily admits who they govern for. Cantor Admits Speculators Have Helped Guide GOP Financial Policy
- So much for separation of church and state! And to think they're the loud-mouths on the Constitution. While Cutting Social Services, Kentucky Gives $43 Million Tax Break To Bible-Themed Amusement Park
- Another step to control the media-Now where did I hear that before? I remember! Nazi Germany, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, North Korea, China, etc., etc., etc. GOP Response To Town Hall Backlash: Ban Recording Devices And Censor Citizen Journalists
Delta Gave Georgia GOP Lawmakers Platinum Upgrades, Then Received $30 Million Tax Break
- These 80+ companies plus the U.S. Chamber of Commerce are on record saying, "American businesspeople should not be forced to limit the exercise of their constitutional rights under a new and oppressive regulatory scheme." Corporations United for Secrecy
How the Fossil Fuel Industry Bought out the Vote to End Big Oil Subsidies
- [The GOP] want[s] Americans to pay more for their gasoline, and more for their Medicare, while they want oil companies to keep unfair profits and insurance companies to profit from rip-off premiums. GOP secret strategy: Love Big Oil, hate Medicare
Disappearing Emergency Rooms Expose GOP Health Care Farce
When Republicans Call Public Schools "Government-Run Propaganda Camps," All Reason Has Been Abandoned
Rep. Webster Threatens To Kick Out Town Hall Constituent For Asking About Raising Corporate Taxes
- The cover-up of the Democrats' national anti-union agenda is possible because to reveal it for the ruse it is would cause enormous disturbances for the Democratic Party, some labor leaders, liberal organizations and, consequently, the larger political system. The Democrats Attack Unions Nationwide
Newt Apologizes To Paul Ryan, Begs Democrats Not To Use His Own Quotes In Ads
Newt: I Totally Would Have Voted For Paul Ryan's Budget
- Federal auditors are accusing Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, Wells Fargo, Citigroup and Ally Financial of swindling the government, that is defrauding taxpayers, in their foreclosure activities. Mortgage lenders were cheats, d'oh. Will the government treat them accordingly?
- Man wouldn't pay you unless he had to. Strong Unions: The Worst Nightmare for the Financial Elite
Ponzi Schemes and Revolving Doors
- The six-month spending bill Congress passed in April increased discretionary outlays through the remainder of the fiscal year by a bit over $3 billion. CBO confirms spending 'cut' deal actually increased spending
Even Before NH Voter ID Bill Becomes Law, Illegal Signs Appear At Polling Stations To Disenfranchise Voters - It cost an average of How much does it really cost to process debit card purchases? 11.9 CENTS to process a debit transaction with a debit card. Average value to bank? $1.14 - a 950% increase.
- [David Gregory] failed to challenge Gingrich on his false assertion that the NLRB was breaking the law by finding that Boeing punished workers for striking in Washington state. Did Boeing's Meet the Press Sponsorship Allow Gingrich to Lie About Company's NLRB Case?
- But we won't know how much and to whom until 2013 - well after the 2012 elections Fox News is going public in its political giving
- I've said it for two years now: Obama is a closet Republican President Obama promotes myth about offshore drilling and gas prices
- America's super rich, new IRS income data show, partied on right through the depth of the Great Recession. And they shared precious little of their good fortune with Uncle Sam. For Our Top 400 Taxpayers, a Near-Record Year
- Only one thing changed to cause last week's sell off in oil future: speculators decided that oil prices had reached their near-term peak and it was time to take massive profits Time for Financial Regulators to Limit Speculation in Oil Market
- Faster than you can say "business as usual," freshman Republicans on the House Financial Services Committee have begun to execute Wall Street's agenda Tea Party Rebels Quickly Tamed
- Three reasons for his reversal: First (& foremost), he's NEWT! Second, he's a Republican! Third; IOKIYAR ( It's OK If You're A Republican)! Gingrich denies supporting health coverage mandate after saying he supports a mandate
- DITTO on above Newt Walks Back Attack On GOP Medicare Plan
- Like a true Republican, he's not giving up on screwing the American public - even when the public tells him to go screw himself Ryan Defends Medicare Privatization As Strengthening 'Welfare For Those Who Need It'
OOPS! Historic 'Spending Cut' Bill Increased Spending By $3 Billion
- Step No. 744? toward fascism AZ Senate President Russell Pearce Threatens To Lock Up Protesting Public Workers In Desert Tent Cities
While John Kasich Cuts Education And Children's Health Funds, He Spends Millions On Casino Consultants
- Repeat: IOKIYAR - It's OK If You're A Republican After The Senate Votes To End Secret Holds, Anonymous GOP Senator Blocks Nominee With A Secret Hold
- Meet the lawyer who could turn our elections upside down. The Man Behind Citizens United Is Just Getting Started
- Mitch McConnell willing to default country, but not willing to stop taxpayer money flowing to oil companies. McConnell: Oil tax break repeals off the table in deficit talks with Biden
- They learned well from American corporations TEPCO Concealed High Radiation Data From Employees Sent Into Fukushima Plant
- My, how they become "centrist" when they're running for President Newt Gingrich Blasts GOP Budget As 'Right-Wing Social Engineering'
- Beset by a constant barrage of attacks from the left and increasing unease on the right, House Republican leaders plan to relaunch their proposal to turn Medicare into a privatized voucher program. GOP Looks To Shock Failing Medicare Plan Back To Life With New Message
- Republicans favor silencing the press for unfavorable view, even when it's their own press. GA GOP Gov. Nathan Deal Retaliates For Critical Report By Locking Out Journalist From Bill Signing
- He's a Republican! What did you expect" Orrin Hatch Stands Up for Those Poor Picked on Oil Company Executives
Week of May 8, 2011
- When the North American Free Trade Agreement was first signed in 1994, proponents said it would eventually create jobs for the U.S. economy. 17 years later the American worker only has hundreds of thousands of job losses to show for it. U.S. Economy Lost Nearly 700,000 Jobs Because Of NAFTA
- Despite its $14.2 billion in profits last year untouched by federal income taxes, General Electric is now demanding that its unionized workers accept a new high-deductible "Health Choice" health savings account plan. Corporations, Federal 'Reform' Keep Shifting Healthcare Costs to Workers
- Fox "News" sears the red-hot poker of racism into the heart of white Americans who emotionally need a scapegoat for the nation's economic collapse - and the erosion of the US Empire. FOX "News" Obsessively Incites Racism. It's Not Even Debatable
Megyn Kelly and Fox News Helped Sen. Ensign Cover-Up His Crimes
- Republican FCC Commissioner Meredith Attwell Baker will leave her position with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in June to serve as senior vice president of government affairs with Comcast-NBC Republican FCC Commissioner Who Approved NBC Merger Becomes Comcast Lobbyist
- Democrats want to give $2 billion in annual tax breaks to the five largest oil companies Obama Pushes for Increase in Domestic Oil Production
- One of the most maddening elements of the current political environment is that Republicans publicly obsess over deficit reduction while simultaneously supporting policies that are driving up deficits CBO: Bush Tax Cuts Responsible For Almost A Third Of Deficit In Last 10 Years
- Just in case you didn't get it, Republican Mitch McConnell is suggesting cutting Social Security benefits-a program that is not contributing to deficit. McConnell: Jump first on cutting Social Security, Dems. We'll follow. Promise
HHS: Affordable Care Act saves Medicare $120 billion
- Providers charge more because they can - average medication in US is Why healthcare costs so much in the U.S. 118% more expensive than the medication in other countries.
- That's hundreds of thousands of dollars the previously-insured won't be paying in higher health care cost to pay for those who were uninsured before. Hundreds of thousands of young people insured because of Affordable Care Act
NY-26 GOP Nominee Jane Corwin Invests Millions In Companies That Ship American Jobs Overseas
An Average American Pays A Higher Income Tax Rate Than ExxonMobil
Why Are Taxpayers Giving $4 Billion Dollars a Year to Oil Companies Making $4 Billion Dollars in Profits a Week?
GOP Bill Shifts Oil Drilling Cases To Court Dominated By Judges With Oil Investments
GOP House Has Time To Honor George W. Bush, But Not Troops Who Caught Bin Laden
The tea party's corrupt values
Sen. McCain: Torture Did Not Lead Us To Bin Laden, And It Undermines Our National Character
10 CEOs Who Got Rich By Squeezing Workers
GOP Freshmen On Medicare Attacks: Let's Let Bygones Be Bygones
- HELLO AMERICA! Any doubts now what the GOP intends to do to our seniors and will-be seniors? McConnell: If You Want A Debt Ceiling Hike, You're Gonna Have To Give Me Entitlement Cuts
- And this is another "fight-for" the Republicans are waging. Tax Holiday Sought By Multinational Corporations Would Cost $78.7 Billion
- And it's the Republicans who claim to have the moral and family values? Sen. Tom Coburn Actively Negotiated Multi-Million Dollar Hush Money Package For Ensign's Mistress
Koch Fueling Far Right Academic Centers At Universities Across The Country
- Now that the Koch brothers have decided to take over what's taught in our higher education schools, I'm sure the next thing they'll go after is what's taught in our grade and high schools. FSU Accepts Funds From Charles Koch In Return For Control Over Its Academic Freedom
SPEAKER BOEHNER CALLS FOR "TERRITORIAL" TAX SYSTEM; WOULD EXEMPT CORPORATE PROFITS SHIFTED OFFSHORE
Meet The Workers Who Make Your iPad: 100 Hours Of Overtime, No-Suicide Pacts, Standing For 14 Hours A Day
Boehner refuses to consider Democratic proposal to end big oil subsidies
Boehner Shares Stage With David Koch At Wall Street Club
Florida City Paying $2,500 A Day To Radical Union-Busting Firm To Stop Workers From Organizing
- That's to U.S. Corporations Pay $100 Billion in Taxes on Foreign Profits foreign governments. Maybe they should renounce their "citizenship" to the U.S. and set up house in those foreign countries. I'm sure they offer better benefits such as military protection, infrastructure, etc.
- When it comes to holding the medical industry accountable for deaths and injuries caused by medical malpractice, many conservatives switch views suddenly to support sweeping federal interventions in state law. The GOP shield for the healthcare industry
It's Time for the High Court to Live by the Rules
Debt Ceiling Warning: Inaction Would Double Interest Rates, Crash Market
- The Fortune 500 raked in $10.8 trillion. CEO pay soared. Wall St settled its corruption cases out of court. Can this go on? The Global Economy's Corporate Crime Wave - Inequality, the new dynamic of history
- Economic Recovery Measures, Financial Rescues Have Only Temporary Impact Economic Downturn and Bush Policies Continue to Drive Large Projected Deficits
Just FYI, we found that the cost of the Bush tax cuts was about $2.5 trillion between 01-10 (PDF)
Spending caps: just a way for them to put themselves in a position to be "forced" to cut Medicare
- They're giving states the option" of spending federal unemployment funding on their debt instead of unemployment benefits House Republicans To Long-Term Unemployed: Drop Dead
Speaker Boehner Dodges Questions About Failure Of Bush Tax Cuts
The Many Errors Of Fact In Speaker Boehner's Wall Street Speech
Study: GOP Budget Will Kick Up To 44 Million Poor People Off Insurance
- Four days before the death of Osama bid Laden, the Associated Press reported that 247 people on the terror watch list legally purchased guns in 2010. Will The NRA Keep Supporting The Loophole Letting People On Terror Watch List Buy Guns?
Reid to Boehner: If you want trillions in cuts, start with 'welfare for Big Oil'
LA Times Reveals US Chamber's Lobbying to Protect Corporations' Hidden Political Spending
- In the least surprising political development in recent years, the leading lights of the Bush administration fanned out across Americans' TV screens to give their old boss credit for the killing of Osama Bin Laden. The Return of the "Nobody Could Have Predicted" President
The dirty energy money behind the Senate move to dismantle the EPA
4,000 millionaires paid no federal income tax in 2010
War Against the Weak: The brutal Republican campaign to eliminate the collective rights of individuals and increase the collective rights of corporations.
- MUST READ Since 1980, the Tax Benefits of America's Wealthiest 1% Have Tripled -- And It's Not Trickling Down
Why American health-care costs so much in one (very long) graphic
Jobs, Jobs, Jobs? Liars, Liars, Liars! Republicans Focus On Abortion
- Now think about this -- and then ask yourself if you Tea Party Leader: We'll Take The Debt Ceiling Hike If You Put Gay Troops Back In The Closet really want the tea party running your country.
- Speaker John Boehner is more blatant even than most politicians about telegraphing which constituency matters to him most: Boehner tells Wall Street Republicans are willing to gut Medicare Wall Street.
- Boy, are Republicans committed to Americans getting screwed by the financial sector, or what? One of the major sources of evil in their world appears to be the idea that regular Americans deserve a degree of consumer protection. Senate Republicans vow to gut Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- That's what seniors pay AARP to do - look out after them! Paul Ryan's PAC: AARP is a 'left-leaning pressure group' As if there are no . right-leaning pressure groups
CEO Bonuses Rose By Nearly 20% In 2010, While Average Worker Saw Income Stagnate
Facing Recall, Wisconsin GOP Will Hustle Through Voter ID Bill That Disenfranchises Students, Seniors
Whirlpool Paid No Taxes Over The Past Three Years, Got A $64 Million Tax Refund In 2010
Texas GOP Rams Koch-Backed 'Loser Pays' Bill Through House, Making It Harder To Sue Corporations
Florida GOP Passes Radical Overhaul Of Election Law, Jeopardizing Voting Rights Of Elderly, Military, Students
- Congressional Democrats Wednesday unveiled the Make It In America plan for the 112th congress. This is a set of Democrats' plan makes jobs for America bills that clearly create jobs and restore our economic competitiveness. specific, detailed, targeted
Center for Responsive Politics / L.A. Times Collaboration Reveals How Mining Industry Helped Kill Safety Bill
Wall Street Journal Launches Phony WikiLeaks Clone
More 'isolated incidents': Wave of racist-right crimes hits Spokane area -- but it's not alone
Wisconsin GOP Legislature Fast-Tracks Conservative Agenda In Anticipation of Recall Successes
Government Take Over Of Health Care - GOP Style
Oops. Unless Medicare is abolished, GOP budget doesn't eliminate deficit
A tale of two presidents: Bush, Obama and Osama bin Laden
Florida Cuts Unemployment Benefits To Pay For Corporate Tax Cut
CEO Pay Exceeds Pre-Recession Level
- Anybody care to guess why For GOP, It's Rice to the Rescue on Bin Laden she was picked!?
- When it comes to creating "facts" out of fiction - through repetition in the corporate media and by the right-wing funded echo chamber - the greatest threat to our nation may come from a misinformed public. Greatest Threat to America Is a Misinformed Public. Take Corporate Taxes and Jobs, for Example
- The bottom line is that if we damned the torpedoes and drilled like maniacs in every single oil-bearing formation in the country, it would.... No, We Will Never Be Oil Independent barely make a dent.
GOP Rep. Dave Camp: Obamacare Repeal Is Also Dead
How Big Oil Gouges America. Let Us Count the Ways.
Paul Ryan admits there's an "individual mandate" in his budget plan
- Now this take guts! The "lawyer" who says it's Constitutionally OK to torture people says it wrong to kill the enemy in war time. 'Torture Memo' Author John Yoo: Killing Osama Bin Laden Was A Mistake
- If the ex-VP still thinks Obama's soft on terror, perhaps he should consult Osama bin Laden. Oh wait, he's at the bottom of the ocean. Dick Cheney, the President Will Take Your Apology Now
- David Lazarus writes about Bank of America's latest attempt to improve its bottom line via hidden fees Old Hidden Fees, Meet New Hidden Fees
Week of May 1, 2011
- The for-profit higher education industry, known as subprime schools for their rampant abuses and systematic fraud, is fighting back aggressively against proposed regulations from the Department of Education. After Subprime Schools Fundraised For Chairman Kline, They Gave Him Another $21,200 Before Crucial Vote
- Thus the reason for the GOP fighting so hard to get and keep the ruling. After Citizens United, Conservative Undisclosed Donors Spent 8 Times As Much As Liberal Ones In 2010 Election
- Senate Republicans have introduced legislation to abolish the Environmental Protection Agency, established 40 years ago by President Richard Nixon to give Americans clean air and water. Senate Republicans Introduce Bill To Abolish The EPA
Republicans just can't handle bin Laden's death
- Translation: 'Just as soon as we can take over both Chambers of Congress and the White House, we'll ram it through just like we did with the Medicare prescription plan in 2003, Boehner, Camp: Medicare fight isn't over, just postponed and we won't care what the public wants!
Military interrogator: Torture 'slowed down' effort to find bin Laden
- Forty four [Senate Republicans] have signed on to a letter threatening to filibuster any nominee to head the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau unless it is dramatically weakened. Republicans Make Power Play To Gut Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Obama Thanks SEAL Team Who Killed OBL For 'Job Well Done'
- Republicans are predictably pushing back against President Obama's proposed executive order requiring federal contractors to disclose their political donations to third-party groups. Republicans Push Back On Obama Plan To Force Disclosure Of Political Contributions
- America's top bankers and CEOs don't have any more talent than millions of other Americans. They do have, two timely new data dumps remind us, plenty of generous friends in pivotal places. Our chronic cronyism - and corruption
- After two years of insisting that Bush's responsibility for all things ended the day President Obama was sworn in, now they are pushing the meme that the retired president had a role in an operation that began more than a year after he departed the White House. This is their "none of the accountability, all the credit" messaging strategy. Congressional Republicans: No accountability, all credit
- The new [state Republican] voting bills share some important features: They all work to restrict the franchise and shrink the electorate -- in most cases, in ways that would decrease Democratic votes. The new war on voting rights
- The most interesting conclusion of the [study] is the confirmation that liberals are accurate more often than conservatives. CONFIRMED: Right-Wingers Mostly Wrong
- The attack on Medicaid [vs. Medicare] is another story. That one might actually work. And if it does, it'll actually be worse. Don't worry about Medicare. Worry about Medicaid.
The International Assault on Labor
- Part of that optimism [from CEO's] stems from the fact that Democrats and Republicans are both allies of the business world. Obama Administration Plans Corporate Tax Cut in Year of Record Profits
Angry Colonel: Let Me Waterboard Rumsfeld And 'We'll See If He Says It's Torture'
- Only because a Democrat, that they just happen to hate, occupies the White House. This is what the GOP U.S. House Decides There Won't Be A Resolution Honoring Those In Bin Laden Mission really thinks of our Military.
House GOP Blocks Vote On Oil Subsidies
- Count among the things Republicans really hate the idea that the American consumer get a fair shake when dealing with banks and other financial institutions. Rep. Spencer Bachus: CFPB repeal effort is about stopping Elizabeth Warren
- How far out of their way will Republicans go to deny President Obama any credit for the killing of Osama bin Laden? They'll throw their dearest values under the bus. A Democratic president kills bin Laden and the GOP world turns upside down
Income Inequality In U.S. Worse Than Ivory Coast, Pakistan, Ethiopia
Former CIA Interrogator: Painstaking Intelligence Work, Not Torture, Responsible For Bin Laden Capture
House GOP Unanimously Passes Anti-Abortion Bill That Redefines Rape, Raises Taxes, And Creates Rape Audits
Profits At Largest 500 Corporations Grew By 81 Percent In 2010
GOP Rhetoric Evolves From 'Jobs Is Highest Priority' To 'Nothing More Important Than Abortion'
Exxon Makes $30.5 Billion, So GOP Votes Unanimously To Give Them Tax Breaks
Orrin Hatch Thinks The Tax System Is Unfair Because It Doesn't Tax Poor People Enough
Corporate Propaganda Response To Town Hall Medicare Anger
Bush Economist Schools Bush, Republicans: Domestic Oil Drilling Won't Lower Gas Prices
- There's a lot of annoying mendacity in Paul Ryan's budget proposal, but the most annoying by far is his repeated insistence that under his plan seniors would get "the same kind of health-care program that members of Congress enjoy." Paul Ryan vs. the Truth
- Given that Kasich is a Republican, and thus constitutionally incapable of telling the truth, the reality [vs. what he said] was much different. Ohio Republicans unhappy Republicans did what Republicans do
EXCLUSIVE: Issa Still Defending Bush Over Lost White House Emails
Issa's Presidential Records Hearing Follows His History Of Bush Email Defense
Memo To Speaker Boehner: GOP "Research" Contradicts Oil Prices Attack
- It's becoming pretty clear how Republicans plan to defend their budget. They're going to lie about it." Quote of the Day: Lying About the Budget
Rumsfeld confirms: Waterboarding did not net intelligence that led to bin Laden
- He's only be willing to hold the vote if it is guaranteed to lose. Cantor proposes clean vote on raising debt ceiling...with a catch
Big oil, big profits, big tax breaks, big political contributions
- The GOP's next President; aren't all you Republican seniors and soon-to-be seniors just itching to vote for him? GOP Presidential Hopeful Rick Santorum Endorses Plan To End Medicare, Calls For Quicker Implementation
Trump Saturation Coverage Simply Reflects Classic Media Bias
George Bush talks tough; Barack Obama acts tough
- The only thing more predictable than Americans' jubilation over the killing of Osama Bin Laden is the Republican campaign to give George W. Bush credit for it. Republicans Rush to Rewrite History of Bush and Bin Laden
- Efforts are underway to recall Snyder. Michigan Governor Snyder Gives $1.8 Billion Tax Cut to Business, Increases Taxes on Seniors
- I got news for you Jack Welch - never mind - you already know this, but many don't: Free money from taxpayers has 'Free Money' About to Cause Big Problem: Welch already caused the mother lode of problems.
- The media pay excessive attention and give excessive credibility to the constant drumbeat of propaganda on the budget and debt streaming from those who have the most to lose if the middle class tries to get back some of what has been taken from it. How the press aids and abets the GOP attack on the middle class
Shell Admits There's No Link Between Lost Subsidies, Higher Gas Prices
- Having succeeded in beating back the more radical ideas for limiting its size, its pay and its speculative excess, the financial services industry is now waging a campaign to undermine what is left of the reform process. Financial crisis? What financial crisis?
- The next would-be Republican President. Pawlenty Defends Big Oil: Cutting Oil Subsidies Is 'Ludicrous'
- Translation: "Damn all those people who dug into my plan and exposed the facts!" Rep. Paul Ryan Hypocritically Blames "Misinformation" For Budget Backlash
- President Bush once said he wanted Osama bin Laden "Dead or Alive," but President Obama was apparently only interested in the former category. SEALs Mission: Kill, Not Capture
- Oil companies are producing less for the U.S. market and exporting more to other countries, while taking increased profits. The result: higher prices at the pump. Gas Prices Up, but so Are Profits and Exports as Refiners Hold Back Production
- Of course not! He was too focused on starting a war in Afghanistan! FLASHBACK: Bush On Bin Laden: 'I Really Just Don't Spend That Much Time On Him'
- Rich people are Study: Rich People Don't Run From High-Tax States not flooding out of states that raise their taxes. Just another example of "untruths (lies) becoming fact before it can be undone".
"Our swashbuckling capitalists couldn't live without the government subsidizing them"
- 43 different companies, organizations and special interest groups last year employed Big Companies, Special Interests Hire Private Congressional Delegations to Lobby Government at least three former congressmen as registered federal lobbyists [and] spent hundreds of millions of dollars lobbying the federal government on a spectrum of issues.
Common Peoples Source for News
Copyright © 2007 -
All Rights Reserved