All Links Will Open In New Window
There was a time when credibility in journalism meant
the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
Anything less annihilates a free society.
We are overwhelmed with problems in our country today, most of which are due to our broken political and economic system, and our ever-widening social differences instigated by those who benefit from our differences. Unfortunately we will never overcome any of these until we attack and destroy the root cause.
For all intensive purposes, the primary root cause filters down to our elected officials - at all levels: federal, state and local. They must be dealt with if we ever expect to resolve our problems, recover our freedom and return to the true democracy our forefathers intended. To accomplish this, it is imperative that we be fully informed with accuracy and truthfulness as to what our officials are doing and who benefits from their actions. Then we will be able to positively identify those who are working against us and the country, which will in turn compel us to band together in defeating the “common enemy” regardless of Party affiliation or social differences.
The biggest obstacle in identifying the culprits in the root cause is the news media. That’s because our news media has taken sides on all issues. And when you’re biased you become unreliable, because any story you tell is slanted to emphasize your biases. Therefore, in order to identify those in the primary root cause, we must first break through the barrier protecting the primary, which is our news media; because issues --- all issues --- must be fully reported with accuracy and truthfulness so that proper identification can be made.
Edward R. Murrow is considered to be the first 20th-century reporter / news anchor that could be completely trusted. He took no sides, giving credit when and where credit was due, and criticizing when criticism was appropriate, regardless of political Party affiliation and personal ideology. Murrow set the standard for honesty, accuracy, truthfulness, integrity, civility and morals in the news media. He was followed by Walter Cronkite (CBS), Howard K. Smith (ABC) and Chet Huntley and David Brinkley (NBC Huntley/Brinkley Report). But the growing obsession for celebritism, fame, wealth, power and ideology by today’s media figures has long since replaced the standards set by the pioneers.
So how do we rebirth the news media without their biases, and turn them back into the accuracy and truthfulness machine that we once respected? Understandably, it won’t be easy; but we-the-people actually do have the power to make it happen - and if there was ever a time to forcefully exercise that power, it is now.
There are a number of ways of getting the media’s attention. But regardless of which we choose, we must do so en masse, leaving no doubt that we will no longer accept their biased reporting.
In the past, the most commonly used and effective means was through their sponsors. That was done by boycotting any and all products advertised on the major news media networks and in newspapers. In conjunction, people refused to watch and read the main stream media, thus dramatically decreasing their popularity. However, in most cases, that took time and, at best, was only temporary. Those tactics could be used again, but to be certain of victory, it must be incorporated with other major efforts. Under no circumstances can we be passive.
Thousands of years of history have proven that the only major changes that were lasting came about as a result of a massive revolt. Some of those resulted in overthrowing a government while others dramatically changed policy and/or the way people were treated. The latter is the revolt we must choose.
Corruption is so deeply embedded in the modern news media that empty or passive threats will most certainly not work. As already mentioned, we must show our force en masse or we are doomed. No war has ever been won by sending a few dozen warriors to face thousands of hardened combat soldiers. And it is imperative that we view this in the same way.
I know many do not approve of the OccupyWallStreet effort, but to be sure, that was the best opportunity we’ve had to change the way ordinary American citizens are treated since the civil rights efforts of the 1960’s. Two things thwarted OccupyWallStreet: (1) The news media, which was just as afraid of the sudden appearance and massiveness of OWS as were the bankers and politicians, and (2) the way OWS chose to organize.
While it was thought to be an idea whose time had come, decentralization left it up to individual OWS groups throughout America to choose their own causes to protest. The result was there were so many different demands that the main objective of the movement became overshadowed. The media, pursuing their ideological objectives and spurred on by their corporate and wealthy masters, began dismissing OWS as a rag-tag group of hippy-type protesters, projecting OWS and their main message in a manner best reflected in this cartoon.
Every single one of us will have to make sacrifices. The most important --- and maybe the hardest --- is that we must completely abandon our own biases which fan our burning desire to ignore what we don’t want to be true, and listen to and read only what we want to be true. Additionally, we must be willing to accept the truth and accuracy of an issue or a person regardless of ideology. Finally, it is essential that we know the difference between opinion & so-called “entertainment” and the facts. We do all this by not accepting one sources’ input as gospel (Just like a computer, trash in, trash out). It may take some effort on our part, including research, but without these sacrifices, there is no chance whatsoever that we will win back our country and democracy.
Having said that, we already know that some in the media has only one purpose: “Reporting” the news in such a way that it praises the ideology of one political Party and certain social groups while demonizing others; always sacrificing accuracy and truthfulness for objectivity (customized news). They make no secret about it. However, even the so-called “neutral” media quite often drifts over into the biased lane. For supporting evidence, below you will find dozens of articles on the news media’s biases. In an astonishing number of cases, you will read about them outright lying to their audience and readers.
avid DeGraw once said “I will not participate in the journalism of appeasement”. Over one of his earlier reports, DeGraw was severely criticized by several of his colleagues who had become “uncomfortable” with his reporting style and been saying some variation of the following: “You’re being too radical. This is too extreme for us to publish.” DeGraw responded by saying in part “I want to make something 100% clear. I am fully aware that these words are harsh, and may turn off some people. However, in extreme times, telling the truth will make you sound extreme.”
This is exactly what we should be hearing from all the news media; especially the main-stream media. And if we ever do, I’m sure, like DeGraw, they will sound “extreme” --- in the beginning. However, if you’re old enough, you will recall that when the current-day kind of reporting first began, almost everyone thought those people were extreme. The lesson here is that, for many people, any deviation from what they consider the norm will be seen as extreme. But truthfulness and accuracy, whether you want to hear it or not, is never extreme.
You may be interested in The Accompanying Post to this document.
You may also be interested in the identity of many of those news anchors and reporters and their ideological standing.
Articles About Biased Media Reporting
POINT: You will find very few articles from Fox News. The reason should be obvious: Fox Faux’s very existance is to promote & defend Republican’s and Republican ideology, and demonize all others just as the following documentary attest. Therefore, no need to address them further.
An Absolute Must-See Documentary
OUTFOXED: Rupert Murdoch's War on JournalismTraditional news media must be made irrelevant if America is to succeed - Reputable bloggers now have the responsibility to fact check not only the politician and corporations, but the traditional media and false bloggers on the take. In that light, the traditional media is but a burden, not a boon, to understanding issues. News of the future must be crowd-sourced. No longer must Americans allow the few to be the arbiters of news or reality. It is time that the traditional news media is deemed irrelevant. They are. Bloggers have asserted their worth, and it is time that all of America is made aware as well.
Seventeen years ago, I read a book called The Evolving Self. Though I didn’t realize it at the time, it profoundly affected the direction of my life. Here’s the section of the book that became a splinter in my mind and resonated the most with me:
In order to gain control of consciousness, we must learn how to moderate the biases built into the machinery of the brain. We allow a whole series of illusions to stand between ourselves and reality... . These distortions are comforting, yet they need to be seen through for the self to be truly liberated... to come ever closer to getting a glimpse of the universal order, and of our part in it.
Since reading that, I have dedicated my life to coming
ever closer to getting a glimpse of the universal order, and of our part in it. After years of research and analysis, I’ve come to hard-fought, battle-tested conclusions that I’ve been sharing with people to great effect, and will share with you now. This will not be for the faint of heart. It will hit hard and we don’t have much time, so let’s get right down to it.
At this point, if you spend much time researching power politics or the distribution of wealth, resources and basic necessities, it seems evident and undeniable, dare I say,
common sense, that we, in fact, live in a neo-feudal society built on debt and mental slavery.
That may sound like over-the-top rhetoric, and it obviously sounds extreme to propagandized and conditioned minds, and yes, it is extreme. However, it is the unfortunate reality of the present situation. The facts are there for the rational and unbiased mind to absorb and comprehend.
If you take a few minutes of your time and read this through, it will easily be proven. We will look at how the system works, and then, hopefully, we will begin the process of evolving society together, as grandiose as that may sound.
Let’s start by giving some context and perspective on present circumstances by breaking down some economic data. As Thomas Jefferson once said,
Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day.
What Does It Take for the Press to Call a Lie a Lie? - All of this stuff was not just "false," it was knowingly false. Everyone knows this. So let's cut out the delicate language and the earnest panel discussions about whether Spicer might have a point about one thing or another. He was lying. Trump was lying. Can't we be adults and just say so?
- Trump falsely claims he created thousands of new jobs, and news outlets lap it up - "When Trump doesn't tell the truth, say so in your headline."
- Media normalizes climate science denial of Trump nominee for Interior Secretary - Now you're a hero if you don't imply that the world's top scientists and governments are conspiring to deceive everyone
- Media rushes to give Trump credit for jobs he didn't help save or create - Trump was all too happy to take credit for announcements that companies say have nothing to do with him.
- New GM investment adding 1,500 jobs following Trump attack - That was planned 2 years earlier.
- Watch How Casually False Claims Are Published: New York Times and Nicholas Lemann Edition
- Watch CNN's Double Standard: GOP 'Opposes'; Dems 'Obstruct' - During a discussion of Chuck Schumer's promise to block Trump's Supreme Court nominations unless they are as moderate as say, Merrick Garland, CNN demonstrated how media moves the bar for Democrats as compared to Republicans.
- FLASHBACK: When Millions Of Lost Bush White House Emails (From Private Accounts) Triggered A Media Shrug - Even for a Republican White House that was badly stumbling through George W. Bush's sixth year in office, the revelation on April 12, 2007 was shocking. Responding to congressional demands for emails in connection with its investigation into the partisan firing of eight U.S. attorneys, the White House announced that as many as five million emails, covering a two-year span, had been lost.
- News Outlets Amplify False Claim Trump Saved Ford Plant From Moving To Mexico - President-elect Donald Trump tweeted a false claim Thursday night about saving a Kentucky Ford plant from moving to Mexico. By the next day, a handful of reputable news agencies had blasted out credulous headlines that bolstered that falsehood.
- WashPost Is Richly Rewarded for False News About Russia Threat While Public Is Deceived - IN THE PAST six weeks, the Washington Post published two blockbuster stories about the Russian threat that went viral: one on how Russia is behind a massive explosion of "fake news," the other on how it invaded the U.S. electric grid. Both articles were fundamentally false. Each now bears a humiliating editor's note grudgingly acknowledging that the core claims of the story were fiction
- Megyn Kelly moves to NBC as Foxification of media continues
- Trump didn't kill House ethics changes but the media gave him credit anyway
- A Clarifying Lesson - This should be a clarifying lesson: most of the establishment press will reflexively credit Trump for things he has nothing to do with. We've seen that with the repeated claims of credit for saving or creating jobs which were usually announced months before. It's classic Lucy's football. There's always news a day or two later about how it's not true. But they run with it each time.
- Joe And Mika At Mar-A-Lago Party; Joe Gets Defensive On Twitter
- Editor of nation's second-biggest newspaper says he will not report Trump lies, even if he lies - "I think you run the risk that you look like you are, like you're not being objective."
- Trump falsely claims he created thousands of new jobs, and news outlets lap it up - When Trump doesn't tell the truth, say so in your headline.
- This is how journalists become pro-Trump propagandists
- Reporters play by Trump's rules, smile for camera over potato chips and champagne - Journalists hang with Trump during off-record confab at Mar-a-Lago.
- Ryan Plays the DC Press Corps Like a Fiddle - Just like you can't jump off a building with no plan on where you're going to land (not if you want a good outcome), "repeal and delay" is a farce which is being gobbled up by the Washington press corps like no one's business. Sad! as Donald Trump would say. It makes zero sense except as a plan to put off the blame for the human carnage until after Ryan has bagged his tax cut.
- Study shows media defined Trump based on what Trump said, and Clinton based on ... what Trump said
- CNN's Jeff Zucker Gets Grilled Over Insane Trump Coverage: 'You Showed Empty Podiums!'
- One place where Donald Trump did get a landslide - news coverage - It was obvious throughout the campaign that Donald Trump's lie-a-minute approach had captured the heart of the media. He Gish-galloped his way from one story to the next, with headlines breathlessly reporting his every word, but rarely getting past the surface of any outrageous statement before Trump was on to the next.
- Headlines on Carrier deal reflect Trump spin, ignore reality - The media handed Trump a PR victory on Carrier by focusing on his words and not his actions.
- The media is still addicted to fake news - Here's how the media spread a fake news story about fake news.
- DC Meeting Ends With Nazi Salute; NY Times Calls Them 'Alt-Right'
- The systemic media failure of the Trump transition - Trump's masterful manipulation.
- Megyn Kelly: Pro-Trump TV Hosts Colluded With Him Beforehand To Appear Tough
- Trump Plays The Media. Again. - ...look at this chart and note how the number of references to "Trump Hamilton" in the media just keeps going up while references to "Trump University" goes down.
- Trump lied on Twitter, and the media spread it far and wide - Trump took credit for saving a Ford plant that was never in any danger in the first place.
- Political Zombies: Clinton Emails - Coverage of Policy Issues vs. Hillary Clinton's Emails on the Broadcast Evening News Shows
- Major newspapers normalize Trump's selection of white nationalist as chief strategist - Making the abnormal seem normal.
- Attention journalists: An adult can't 'have sex' with a preteen. It's rape. - A handy guide for covering sexual assault cases.
- How the media internalized Donald Trump's abysmally low standards
- CNN's Corey Lewandowski Tries To Hide His Face While Sneaking Off Trump's Plane
- CNN Has A Trump Surrogate Problem - CNN has hired Trump surrogates to turn their election coverage into meaningless shouting matches. This may make for dramatic reality TV, but it makes for terrible "news analysis."
- New York Times Media Critic: The Rise Of Donald Trump Had Nothing To Do With Right-Wing Politics
- CNN solves its Corey Lewandowski problem: It's fine now, the Trump campaign's paid him in advance! - Finally, a bit of good news for CNN; the network will no longer have to face the awkward charge that one of their premiere pro-Trump commenters is also on the Trump payroll! This is not because the Trump campaign decided to stop paying him, mind you; they just decided to send him the remainder of his campaign payments in advance.
- The AP pushes a 'conspiracy election' - Is this how the AP defends itself against widespread criticism of its attempt to manufacture scandal around the Clinton Foundation? "The world's oldest and largest newsgathering organization" has slapped together a special bit of both-sides-do-it-ism headlined "Welcome to the Trump-Clinton conspiracy election."
- The AP refuses to correct its errors, or to show its data, on the Clinton Foundation 'scandal' - There are about 1,800 things wrong with the AP article on the relationship between those who donated to the Clinton Foundation and those who met with Hillary Clinton during her time as secretary of state. In particular, there's the way the AP purposely restricted the number of meetings it was considering until it found a subset of data in which the results matched the narrative. It's a classic case of forcing the data to meet the conclusion.
- If fascism ever does come to America, the media will be goose-stepping right in line - Historians will look back on this election with shock and condemnation. Did it really come to this? Did we really face this abyss? And did we, as a nation, survive it? Right now, the polls look very good, but that's primarily because the American people seem to be smarter and more responsible than the ostensible information gatekeepers. But when the histories are written, the condemnation will fall not only on Donald Trump and those Republicans who support or enable him - the media's role will be prominent. We look likely to escape disaster this year, but the lesson is clear: If fascism ever does come to America, the media will be goose-stepping right in line.
- AP Editor Admits Tweet On Clinton Foundation Was 'Sloppy' And Wrong, Still Won't Delete It - After years of investigation, Freedom of Information Act requests and lawsuits, the Associated Press obtained two years of Hillary Clinton's schedules from her tenure as Secretary of State. It culminated with this tweet on their findings: --- . There was one problem: This tweet is completely inaccurate.
- CNN Admits They Serve As Parrots For The RNC - No, really. That happened. It's in the video at the top. So the RNC kicks an email out with a press release every day which does not tout their candidate, but instead complains about how many days it's been since Hillary Clinton held a press conference, and cable news dutifully parrots it as if it's a thing. Because as press, if they didn't feel ignored before, the RNC has enabled them to feel aggrieved.
- The Media Has Already Lowered The Bar For Trump At The Debates - Wolf asked Dana if she agreed and Bash said, "Oh, absolutely. Absolutely. But I do think that the stakes are much higher in this debate and all the debates for Hillary Clinton because the expectations are higher for her because she is a seasoned politician, she is a seasoned debater." She continued, "Yes, we saw Donald Trump in the primaries debate for the first time, but he is a first-time politician. So for lots of reasons, maybe it's not fair but it's the way it is, the onus is on her."
- Is The New York Times out to get Hillary Clinton? - If anything stops Hillary Clinton from becoming the 45th president of the United States, it will be the widely accepted idea that she is dishonest and corrupt, a figure forever trailed by scandals of her own making (and her husband's), as twisted by her own ethical shortcomings as she is driven by her mad lust for power. And weirdly enough, no publication is more responsible for the spread of this idea and its continual renewal than that foremost bastion of the supposedly liberal media, The New York Times.
- Questions on a curve: Matt Lauer may as well have asked Trump about his summer vacation - Donald Trump faced a tough round of questions on Wednesday night at NBC's Commander In Chief Forum when Matt Lauer lobbed him open-ended question after open-ended question - more akin to something you would ask a third grader than a potential president. While Lauer pounded away at Hillary Clinton about her emails during her first question, his first query of Trump was: What have you experienced in your personal life or your professional life that you believe prepares you to make the decisions that a commander-in-chief has to make?
- Matt Lauer Ignores Trump's Lies - NBC host didn't challenge Trump's false claims about Iraq and Libya.
- Even NBC execs realize Matt Lauer was a 'disaster'
- Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton Hold Dueling Rallies - But Trump Gets Most of the TV Coverage - Trump, in a national-security focused Q&A with former Defense Intelligence Agency chief Michael Flynn, described the Iran-Iraq war in flippant terms, saying that the two countries would "fight fight fight. And then Saddam Hussein would do the gas. And somebody else would do something else. And they'd rest." Clinton, on the other hand, focused her remarks on issues like college affordability and small businesses. Fox, CNN, and MSNBC responded by giving almost all of their attention to Trump.
- CNN And Fox News Keep Mum About Trump Pay-to-Play Story. Why? - In other words, it's truly a scandal. A REAL scandal. One that should have dominated today's Sunday shows and the newspaper headlines this weekend. Yet, there was no mention that I saw on any Sunday shows, and headlines are still dominated with bogus Clinton email stories.
- New York Times admits mistakes, doesn't intend to fix them
- The New York Times does it again ... whitewashes a negative Donald Trump story - And The New York Times repeated the lie ... and then some:
- Is it all right if Trump lies during the debates? Sure, whatever, says our media - Please stop, America. Please stop, American national "press" corps who couldn't find their backsides with two hands and the help of three network producers each. We are debating who will be leading our country for the next four years, and still you insist on grading the obvious lunatic based on whether or not he visibly soils himself onstage.
- Roger Stone's 'Rigged Election' Conspiracies Get Space At 'The Hill' - The Hill has until recently been regarded as an unbiased reporter of Capitol Hill news and information. But this year's election combined (obviously) with a strong desire for clickbait has led them to publish a "column" by well-known conspiracy theorist and Alex Jones BFF, as well as CNN contributor, Roger Stone. Stone uses the opportunity to spew his unfounded and dangerous nuttery, that the presidential election is "rigged" if Hillary Clinton wins.
- [CNN's Corey] Lewandowski Revives Birther Conspiracy Theory About Obama and CNN President Jeff Zucker thinks [He] Has 'Done A Really Nice Job' At CNN.
- Breitbart Passes Off Photo Of Cleveland Cavaliers Parade As Trump Rally - Breitbart News posted a photo Wednesday alongside an article headlined "Trump's Jacksonville Rally Draws 15,000" that actually showed a crowd during a celebratory parade for the Cleveland Cavaliers winning the NBA finals this year.
- Former Acting CIA Director Lays Waste To Media's Obsession With Email - ABC's This Week, Martha Raddatz seriously needs an intervention for her obsession with the three miserable mismarked Clinton emails which she claims, "resonate" with American voters. After [former acting CIA director Michael] Morell confirmed his contention that Trump is now nothing more than an unwitting agent for Vladimir Putin, Raddatz let that drop in favor of what she considers a more pressing issue for the nation: Benghazi and the emails.
- Oil Lobby Paid Washington Post and Atlantic to Host Climate-Change Deniers at RNC
- Both Sides! Mike Rogers Follows 'The Rules' For Avoiding GOP Responsibility - So why would CNN bring on a former Congressman turned right wing radio host to open his pie hole about whether Obama is Presidential or not? (No, really.)
Because....this former Congressman is hosting a new TV show...on CNN. (No, really.)
Is pimping some conspiracy theory summer-replacement reality show beneath what is claimed to be an international standard for television news? Apparently not.
- Lesley Stahl Enabled Donald Trump's Lying on "60 Minutes" - I'll grant that interviewing Trump is a challenge. He throws out casual lies so often that it's hard to address them without letting the entire interview go off track. But of course, this is what Trump counts on. Stahl had other things she wanted to get to, and anyway, she's probably hoping to get future interviews with Trump. How likely is that if she interrupts to tell Trump he's lying?
- Yes, Trump Owes His Rise Partly to a Gullible Media - Did saturation media coverage of Donald Trump drive his success in the primaries? Reporters swear it didn't: they were just covering a popular candidate, the same as they always do. Given the immense amount of coverage Trump got, especially from cable news outlets anxious to broadcast his every speech in full, this is a little hard to take seriously. Trump played the press like a Stradivarius, and they loved every minute of it.
- CNN Opens Baton Rouge Shooting Coverage With Race-Baiting Harry Houck - Reliable Sources host Brian Stelter was trying to confirm the shooting of police officers in Baton Rouge this morning. CNN thought it would be a great help to add to the mix, the opinions of race-baiter, Harry Houck.
- Chuck Todd Irresponsibly Says Obama's Statement 'Might Be Called A Lecture' - Chuck Todd jumped into an unnecessary posture after President Obama's calm, measured statement concerning the Baton Rouge shooting and violence against police in general, suggesting that the President was somehow being mean to America.
- CNN Confesses: Corey Lewandowski Still Gets A Check From Trump - Just in case you thought CNN had any journalistic morals left, last night Don Lemon introduced Corey Lewandowski as "still receiving severance from Donald Trump"
- CNN Criticized For Inviting Ex-Rep On Air After He Threatened President Obama - Hours after former congressman Joe Walsh threatened President Barack Obama over the killings of police officers in Dallas, CNN invited him on air to discuss his views.
- Chuck Todd Pretends We're Hearing Equally Divisive Rhetoric From 'Both Sides' On The Campaign Trail - In an insane twist and manipulation, Chuck Todd tries to somehow convince himself and his viewers that Hillary Clinton is just as racist and divisive as Donald "I hate Muslims, Mexicans, women, disabled people, etc" Trump.
- New York Post can take its 'civil war' and go right straight to hell - How many ways can the New York Post go to hell on this one?
- CNN hires phalanx of contributors to praise Donald Trump - Any assumption that CNN thus had enough in-house Trumpites ignores the essence of CNN under President Jeff Zucker: More, more, more! And so today brings the news that Scottie Nell Hughes, political editor of RightAlerts.com will join CNN in a paid capacity to also say pro-Trump things on air.
- Mutiny At CNN Over Corey Lewandowski Hiring? - As you know by now, CNN hired Trump's former campaign manager Corey Lewandowski, reportedly for a salary of five hundred thousand dollars. Apparently, CNN employees are up in arms that their boss, Jeff Zucker made the move to hire a shill in their midst.
- What Katie Couric's deceptive editing can teach us about media bias - Katie Couric has finally apologized for her misleading editing of a documentary on gun violence. But that shouldn't be the end of this sordid story.
- Ads in WSJ blast WSJ for two decades of climate change denial - The Wall Street Journal's opinion page is perhaps the most influential outlet for climate denial and rarely gives its readers accurate information about how fossil fuels cause global warming.
- Cable News Sure Loves Anti-Abortion White Guys - Media Matters' Rachel Larris and Sharon Kann analyzed cable news segments on abortion by 432 individuals and found that from January 1, 2015, to March 6, 2016, 40 percent were by people who identify as anti-abortion. Sixty-two percent of all those who discussed the topic on CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC were men, and much of the information across the board was misleading, the media analysis group found. Only 17 percent of the 1,554 appearances on the three networks qualified as pro-choice.
- What Katie Couric's deceptive editing can teach us about media bias - Katie Couric has finally apologized for her misleading editing of a documentary on gun violence. But that shouldn't be the end of this sordid story.
- Inspector General's Report On Clinton's Email Greatly Exaggerated By Media Outlets - Almost immediately, the media was full of headlines such as "State Department report slams Clinton email use" from CNN, "State Dept. inspector general report sharply criticizes Clinton's email practices" from the Washington Post, and "IG: Clinton didn't want emails 'accessible'", from The Hill.
Lost in the hyperbole is the fact that the OIG report was meticulous and thorough, but also dispassionate, just like any other OIG report I've read. There was no direct criticism of Clinton, sharp or otherwise. The OIG was examining the State Department's practices, not specifically investigating Clinton's actions.
- Campaign Reporters Fess Up: They Really Can't Stand Hillary Clinton - Last month Politico polled 80 campaign reporters about this year's race. It turns out they hate Nevada and Ohio but love South Carolina - mainly because it has good food, apparently. They think Maggie Haberman is the best reporter covering the race, and Fox News has done the best job of hosting a debate. Donald Trump has gotten the softest coverage, probably because they all agree that "traffic, viewership, and clicks" drives their coverage.And who's gotten the harshest coverage? Do you even have to ask? It turns out that even reporters themselves agree that it's not even a close call
- Joe Scarborough Trashes Teachers Protesting In Detroit - For months now, Detroit Public School teachers have been protesting the horrendous conditions in their schools. Moldy classrooms, a lack of heat, horrible conditions, and more have them furious and protesting. But instead of responding to their concerns, teachers were informed that they would have to work beyond June 30th without pay. Their response was to shut down 94 schools in a sickout. The union is demanding that the state step up and provide the funding to pay already-earned salaries. Morning Joke Scarborough thinks that's just terrible. Damned unions, fighting for pay the teachers have already earned. Why aren't they just doing it for the children?
- Media Outlets Are Reporting 1 Million People Are Boycotting Target. Here's The Truth. - News outlets are buzzing that a pledge to boycott Target over its transgender-inclusive policies is approaching 1 million signatures on Thursday. In reality, that number is unverifiable and almost certainly inaccurate. All that's actually happening is that a hate group is getting a lot of free press.
- Chuck Todd Gives Ted Cruz A Pass On Planned Parenthood Lies - MSNBC hosted a couple of presidential "town halls" this Thursday, which both basically amounted to hosts Chris Matthews, who interviewed John Kasich, and Chuck Todd, who interviewed Ted Cruz, lobbing one softball after another to the two Republican candidates and allowing their litany of lies to go unchallenged.
- In A Shocking Twist, Paper Owned By Trump's Son-In-Law Endorses Trump - Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump has run such a convincing campaign that his son-in-law's newspaper put aside any concerns about a conflict of interest Tuesday in order to endorse him.
- Wolf Blitzer Claims Sanders Has 'Obvious Contempt' For Big Business
- NY Observer Editor Gave Trump Input on AIPAC Speech, Observer Issues Statement - Donald Trump's daughter Ivanka--who recently gave birth--is married to Jared Kushner. Kushner owns the New York Observer, and that publication has come under some scrutiny over one of its editors giving Trump input on his AIPAC speech.
- Amy Goodman Shames CNN: Media 'Manufactures Consent' By Giving Trump 23 Times More CoverageDemocracyNow! host Amy Goodman told CNN's Brian Stelter that his network and most other mainstream media were "manufacturing consent" for Donald Trump by giving him more airtime than other candidates.
On Sunday's edition of CNN's Reliable Sources, Goodman called out CNN for broadcasting an empty stage in anticipation of Donald Trump's press conference on election night last Tuesday without ever mentioning that Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders was giving a speech to his supporters at the same time.
- Conspiracy-peddling Breitbart 'News' implodes under weight of its own conspiracy theories - Being so outlandishly and gleefully wrong on so many stories did not at any point, you will note, ever hamper Breitbart's popularity in movement-conservative circles, nor has the constant stream of error-riddled buffoonery seemed to cause any second thoughts among the cable news programs that book Breitbart wags, or among the pundits and politicians that still regularly cite them. And that, children, is the shorthand version of how the whole sodding Donald Trump wing of the party came to be. Which ties us right back around to the current fireworks.
- Report: Media Has Failed Spectacularly to Vet Trump - In breathlessly covering the outrageous theatrics of the Trump campaign, the media and the national press has done the American electorate a grave disservice by failing in their duties to vet the candidate's qualifications, his proposed policies, and his past dealings.
- Wall St Journal Again Posts Anti-Student Op-Ed Without Disclosing For-Profit College Ties
- Cable news now: All white, all the time?
- NBC Invites On Erick Erickson After He Compared Planned Parenthood To Josef Mengele - These days, the only qualifications needed to be asked to appear on the Sunday morning talk shows circuit is to identify as a conservative and make demeaning comparisons. Your history of offensive remark after offensive remark after offensive remark or scandals mean practically nothing to the network bookers these days.
- Debate Moderator Reacts To Sanders Talking Vietnam: 'Oh God' - Once Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) started talking about former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger's policy in Vietnam during Thursday night's Democratic presidential debate, a moderator could be heard sighing "Oh God" into her microphone.
Sanders and his rival Hillary Clinton had been debating foreign policy when Sanders attacked her for taking advice from Kissinger. The senator didn't stop the onslaught after Clinton said that she takes advice from a "wide variety of voices" with foreign policy expertise.
- Trump Tweeted Fabricated Murder Stats From A Neo-Nazi And This Is How The Media Reported It - Yesterday, Donald Trump tweeted a series of inaccurate murder statistics from the "Crime Statistics Bureau - San Francisco." The bureau doesn't exist and the statistics were fabricated. It appears the numbers were manipulated to perpetuate racism against African Americans. For example, the graphic claims that 81% of whites are killed by blacks. The actual percentage, based on the latest data from the FBI, is 14 percent. Some media outlets, however, took a very charitable approach to covering Trump's tweet.
- MSNBC Cuts Away From Bernie Sanders as He Condemns Trans-Pacific Partnership - MSNBC owner Comcast has lobbied for the TPP. Last year, it fired host Ed Schultz, an outspoken opponent of the agreement.
A Media Matters study found that outside of Schultz's show, the TPP was mentioned only twice on MSNBC during an 18-month period. Last year, MSNBC host Joe Scarborough admitted to The Intercept that his network was "guilty" of ignoring the TPP.
- Trump rhetoric outrages Chuck Todd (no, not the racist, pro-torture, pro-war crimes rhetoric) - So, what was it that made crack journalist Chuck Todd finally recognize that Trump's rhetoric is "outrageous and dangerous"? Was it his hate speech directed at women? At Mexicans? At a couple of billion Muslims? His advocating of torture and war crimes? Nope. Todd was responding to this: Trump trashes press.
- Hillary Wins a Squeaker in Nevada, But It's a Rout in the Headlines - In case you've ever wondered about the value of a narrow 5-point win in a state you were expected to take easily, just take a look at today's headlines. The margin of victory doesn't matter. The headlines in all four of our biggest daily newspapers were clear as a bell: Hillary won and her momentum is back.
- Respondents Rank 'Media Bias' Above SuperPACs When Asked About Problems in Politics - When asked to select which was a bigger problem in politics between media and money, 47% of respondents in a Rasmussen poll selected media bias and 45% selected overspending, including large-scale donations from special interest groups.
- Note To Media: The Heavily Armed, Law-Breaking Oregon Militants Aren't 'Protesters' - With news that the leader of the Oregon militia occupying a federal wildlife refuge was arrested last night, and another member killed in a confrontation with police, it's worth taking a look back at how the media has described the crisis in the last few weeks.
- This Ain't A Scene: It's A God Damn Arms Race - ...while the American Fascist Party continues to attract hoopla and horror on the national stage......down below the radar, deep inside America's Laboratories of Democracy, while the institutional Left continues to lose ground and throw nickles around like manhole covers, the Right continues to spend whatever it takes to control the means of of message production.
- Texas TV station accidentally deletes 2014 political ad file - The San Antonio Express discovered something troubling in FCC records this week: Dallas television station WFAA deleted its 2014 political public file from the FCC site.
- Strike Two for Pair of New York Times Reporters - FBI director James Comey said the San Bernardino shooters never talked openly about violent jihadism on social media: "So far, in this investigation we have found no evidence of posting on social media by either of them at that period in time and thereafter reflecting their commitment to jihad or to martyrdom. I've seen some reporting on that, and that's a garble." So where did this notion come from, anyway? The answer is a New York Times story on Sunday headlined "U.S. Visa Process Missed San Bernardino Wife's Zealotry on Social Media."
- Why are media outlets downplaying Trump's lying and demagoguery?
- What Is It Going To Take To Get The Media To Quit Propping Up Hate Group Leader Tony Perkins? - CNN's Michael Smerconish is just the latest member of the corporate media to prop up the anti-gay zealot hate group leader Tony Perkins.
- How The Right-Wing Echo Chamber Spins Bullsh*t Into Fact - Shelley Powers noticed that a story circulating in the right-wing echo chamber suggests that Hillary Clinton's email cache included one from April 1, 2002 which was declassified on April 1, 2012 and published to the State Department's FOIA website in 2014. There's only one problem: There's not even one email with that date on it in the Clinton email.